Fishtown USA
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 02-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Default Fishtown USA

Made my first trip to Fishtown USA on Northern Boulevard this past Monday, and I must say that I was very impressed. I went there looking for rocks for my hardscape, and their selection beat any Long Island fish store that I've been to, including Aquarium Adventures.

Also, they had a tank full of bee shrimp, with black and white stripes, for $1.50 each, and it was the first time I've ever seen those offered for sale. Usually its just cherries, amanos, and ghosts. They also had small neon tetras 3 for $1, which is a great price if they live.

Overall, great selection. The live plants were very expensive, however, and I'm certain I will not make that store my destination for plants (Aquarium Adventures in Carle Place has a ton of plants including HC, HM and Glosso, and Tropical Showcase in Hicksville takes the cake for bunched plants and vals).

So yea, I suggest a trip there if you live in Queens/BK or Nassau.
FrostyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)

I went today. but there was no bee shrimp.

I asked them and they said that they don't carry it.

My 29 gal tank

blackworms culture methods
dr.tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Papas76
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Papas76

They had bumble bee shrimp their about a month ago when I went. So I dont know what that guy was telling you. Its a pretty good store I have no complaints. Im their atleast twice a week browsing lol...
Papas76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

Dam it. Because when I asked, he said he only had these little red ones. Cherry shrimp

I'll check again later then. I guess it was just my luck to get the one who doesn't care.

BTW where did u see the shrimp in the store? was it all the way to the right at the very end?

My 29 gal tank

Old 02-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Papas76
Algae Grower

Thats odd when I asked about cherry reds awhile back they told me they never get them. lol I think the people that work their are lost.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:19 AM   #6
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

LOL! Wow that is such, well u know what.

Dang and I really wanted some bee shrimp. If u see bee shrimp in there again, let me know. And where in that store did u see the bee shrimp?

My 29 gal tank

Old 02-25-2008, 02:16 AM   #7
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

I swear, there were over 100 in that tank. I'd only ever seen cherries and amanos, and when I saw the 100s crawling around in that tank, all I could think of was roaches. They did not appeal to me at all--they were crawling all over and on top of each other. I've since decided to nix my "shrimp tank" plans.

They were in a smallish tank along the left-hand wall near the little jars with the bettas. If I ever go back and see any, I can pick some up for you.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Papas76
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.tran View Post
LOL! Wow that is such, well u know what.

Dang and I really wanted some bee shrimp. If u see bee shrimp in there again, let me know. And where in that store did u see the bee shrimp?
If you are facing the door from the inside then yes its on your right. If you are facing from the outside its on the left. As soon as you walk in you are surrounded with tanks for sale on both sides. On the left is where the freshwater fish are which is were the bee shrimp where aswell.

Fishtown USA is the store on Northern Blvd across the street from Oasis cafe. Their is also the bank at the corner on the same side as fishtown..

They also bring in bamboo shrimp, Amanos which they call them japano's and they also have ghost shrimp.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:27 AM   #9
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

Oh man I am starting to think I got the wrong store. The fresh water is on the right side respective to the door. Does that sound right?

Also the store is very close to the highway. I hope we are talking about the same store.

My 29 gal tank

Old 02-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Hm. Freshwater is on the left and all along the rear wall. Saltwater is in an area on the right towards the front.

Try hitting local.live.com and view a bird's eye image to see if you went to the right store. If you'd recognize the exterior, that is.

Edit: I should have clarified which direction I was facing when saying left or right.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
Papas76
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
Hm. Freshwater is on the left and all along the rear wall. Saltwater is in an area on the right towards the front.

Try hitting local.live.com and view a bird's eye image to see if you went to the right store. If you'd recognize the exterior, that is.

Edit: I should have clarified which direction I was facing when saying left or right.
Thats the one.... They also have some freshwater on the right side towards the register... The store is also pretty dark.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:16 AM   #12
florafan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

The store is right next door to the Greek restaurant Mythos. Commerce bank is at the corner. The closest cross street is Francis Lewis Boulevard. It's convenient that there is a small parking lot at the back of the store reachable via a small driveway between the store and the restaurant.
florafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #13
Papas76
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by florafan View Post
The store is right next door to the Greek restaurant Mythos. Commerce bank is at the corner. The closest cross street is Francis Lewis Boulevard. It's convenient that there is a small parking lot at the back of the store reachable via a small driveway between the store and the restaurant.
Thats the one...
Old 03-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #14
taoyeah
Algae Grower

alot bee shrimps there,i saw alot of them are dead.turned red.btw .their service is not that good.thw woman who working there doesnt let you choose which fish u want.
taoyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #15
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Stopped at Fishtown a few days ago because I was in the neighborhood. No shrimp this time for anyone who's wondering.

Also, disappointingly, they had a tank full of "heart-tattoo mollies" with some shoddily-drawn heart on the silver balloon mollies' torsos. As if being a hideously deformed balloon molly isnt bad enough, next you're tattooed and sold to a 6 year old girl. I've seen the painted glass fish and the jelly bean cichlids, both injected with colors, but this was a first for me.