What's up with these plants?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
mitko1994
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default What's up with these plants?

Hello Everyone,

I got these plants and they seem to be getting holes in their leaves as you will see in the pics below. I was wondering if they are caused by fish or deficiency. I have tetras,plecos,rainbows and some barbs.I recently started dosing with excel, flourish, and iron once a week. My tank is 90g, 24" tall and my light fixture is:Current USA Satellite 48-60". The Ozelot sword has been in the tank for about 2+ months, where as the other plant I got about 10 days ago

Here are the pics:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9946.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	284010

Name:	IMG_9945.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	284018

Name:	IMG_9944.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	284026

Thanks

Last edited by mitko1994; 03-06-2014 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: typo
mitko1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
foster
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

It possibly is a potassium deficiency. I use leafzone when I have plants that look like those. It usually clears up in a few weeks. The old leaves won't repair, but new leaves will be better. One more thing, do you have pond snails in your tank?
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
mitko1994
Algae Grower

As fair as I know I have no snails but even if I did I have clown loaches, so they would have eaten them all. Are deficiencies quickly noticed, I mean would they appear in the first 2-3 days because that's when these holes appeared? Would you recommend leafzone over Seachem plant products?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
TyrannosaurusSex
Planted Member

Is this happening to old leaves, new leaves, or all leaves?
TyrannosaurusSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
mitko1994
Algae Grower

I would say the old leaves, since the plants haven't produced any new leaves
Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

In the third picture, it's Pleco damage. Random holes are usually Potassium butalong the middle of the leaf is from a Pleco. Sometimes giving them a good supply of other food stops that. Other times it don't and then you have a choice to make.
Either will do especially if you already have one kind. Either of them is expensive compared to dry ferts.
If you haven't had any growth in 10 weeks then you are missing something like ferts and/or enough light. Fish food and fish waste provides enough nutrients for a few plants but to get growth out of anything like several plants that won't be enough.
I'll give you a link that gives an easy to understand explanation of this.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107303
An alternative would be root tabs. The ones in stores aren't much good as they are incomplete. There is one sold on here that is but it's tricky to use and must not be over done. But read the link and then get back/w the next question...LOL...
Old 03-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
mitko1994
Algae Grower

Thanks Raymond, There was a typo in my original post, I meant to say 10 days instead of 10 weeks, LOL but the Ozelot sword has been in my tank for 2+ months. What dry ferts would you suggest or is that a fancy way of saying bags of soil? I feed them pleco waffers everyday plus whatever else they find on the bottom.

Thanks