Home depot sand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-01-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
chinomano147
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can i use this for 100% of my substrate? And just add the fertilizer tabs and such? ALso how much do i need for a 40 gallon tank?

thanks
chinomano147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

As for how much take a look at the Sticky post at the top of this forum. Make sure you don't enter total tank depth but the depth of the substrate.

Depending on the sand you can use it as 100% of the substrate. Here in the PNW the sand they sell at the BORG is like flour. And it's a nasty grey color to boot. It would be a disaster in a tank.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:14 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I'm using 100% play sand in one tank and it's not bad. No compacting over time, and Malaysion Trumpet Snails help keep it stirred up. It's very sterile, though. And it won't accumulate mulm like most fine gravel will since it is relatively tightly packed. Most debris settles on the surface, requiring frequent cleaning to keep it from looking unsightly.
It's definitely useable in a low-budget tank, though.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:05 AM   #4
blk
Algae Grower

I'm also using 100% Home Depot play sand in one of my tanks. It's working out pretty well. It looks good and the plant roots seem to grow well in it. I have about 1.5-2" depth in my 29 gal tank, and I only used about 2/3 of a 40 lbs bag. In the unplanted area with no roots I've had to stir the sand occasionally or dark grey pockets tend to form underneath. I've been thinking about getting some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to help keep it aerated. Also, make sure you wash it really, really well before putting it in your tank. I would put a portion in a bucket with water, stir it up and decant the fine particles. I did this over and over again until the water wasn't cloudy after stirring. It's a lot of work upfront, but I've never had any cloudiness in that tank.
blk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:29 AM   #5
Tonyd
Planted Tank Obsessed

You might also look at the other sands they have in the same section. Often they will have different grades of blasting and industrial sands in different grain sizes and compositions. These are usually cleaner than the play sand and, although a little more expensive, still cheaper than aquarium specific substrate.

Tony
Tonyd is offline   Reply With Quote