Best "bath" solution for algae on plants?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 11-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
cjskier
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Best "bath" solution for algae on plants?

I know, Im new, "use the search function". But I have and cant seem to find the best answer to my problem.

Im about to do a major re-scape and inital scape of a new tank. I want to use most of the plants in my existing set up in the new one. However lately I've had a bad break out of hair algae on my plants. i really dont want to transfer this stiff full force to a new tank and continue the problem.

So my question is, whats the best bath solution to use to kill the algae, and not the plants? Snails are not an issue.

I live in a pretty small town and finding Alum might be impossible, and Potasium Premagnate hard. And Im planning on working on my setup tomorrow evening(been waiting on a delivery).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
cjskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
s3rca
Algae Grower

Hydrogen peroxide seems to work pretty darn well and it's cheap which is a plus.
s3rca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
cjskier
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3rca View Post
Hydrogen peroxide seems to work pretty darn well and it's cheap which is a plus.
At what diloution? I think I read 1part hydrogenperoxide to 2 part h2o. And for how long?
Old 11-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

just a tip because the search sucks here but type something like this...best dip for algae site:plantedtank.net in google and it'll search this site. It's alot better than the forums search engine. Here is what I got from that search....https://www.google.com/search?q=best+dip+for+algae+site%3Aplantedtank.net &ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb
Old 11-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
cjskier
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tip Sake! I normaly use google to search forums, but you provided me with great links!

So I'm thinking a 1 to 1 ratio of H2O2 to H2o for a couple mins should do the trick. As far as I know I have fairly hardy plants. I guess I'll find out. I see archarnis(sp?) will die, but then again what doesnt kill it(ferts, flourish, ect)? And I dont like/grow that crap.