coralife hood just broke
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-04-2004, 12:53 AM   #1
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

my coralife aqualight 2x65 watt hood for my 40 G has been running for a week and one of the ballasts just up and turned off....it happened right before my eyes as i was watching my tank....all of a sudden, ......, the right one just turned off....i switched the bulbs to see if that was the problem, but both bulbs work fine.....darn ballast....anyone else have a similar problem with these coralife hoods?
hubbahubbahehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:35 AM   #2
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

No, but did it have a warranty? Call them and tell them what happened...
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I've had no problems like that with either of mine. I would definitely call them.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 PM   #4
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

just to let you guys know, i called the coralife peeps, they were very nice and helpful, they told me i have 1 year warranty and that includes the bulbs! anyway, since i know how to hook it up correctly, they are sending me a new ballast. Very smooth service, and I'm happy again. Just hope the plants can survive with half the lights. Anyway, I thought this would be good for you to know, George (and coralife lurkers out there ) , in case your coralife hood breaks within the year you buy it. happy birthday to me!
Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
Old 02-04-2004, 04:42 PM   #5
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Many ballasts will shutoff at a certain temp if they get too hot. I think it's like 80 C or so. How long was your ballast running? Have you tried letting it cool and turning it back on?

or

It could just be junk. Anyway. Nice thing to have a warranty and friendly customer service people.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #6
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

my ballast had only been running for 1 hour before it shutoff on that day.... typically i run my lights on for 8 hours because i'm in the early period of planted tank and i haven't completely filled it with plants yet...i take it slow and i run the lights a little less. anyway, this hood has been running for 8 hours a day for approximately 4-5 days....and yesterday it did this.... kind of odd isn't it?? I was a little worried bout the hood not having enough ventilation because it didn't have holes or fans...but i figure it's cuz it's a 2x65 watt and 48 inches.... if it were next to each other, it would have a fan...

oh and when i get back home from work this afternoon, i'll test to see if it will run, thanks for the suggestion, i sincerely hope it's that easy
Old 02-04-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

that sucks....grrrr

Hopefully the new ballast will fix it.

No vents eh?
Old 02-04-2004, 04:59 PM   #8
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

yea, no vents, ....a little odd huh? George is your coralife hood without vents too? i wonder how the heat escapes. maybe since aluminum is a good heat conductor that heat escapes very easily ...

also i was thinking perhaps i could remove the acrylic lens cover and that would help everything to cool down a bit...

in the meantime, i've got a shoplight that holds two T12 40 watt bulbs over a 40G long (4feet long) ...i've read before that using shoplights, you won't get exactly 80 watts of light but maybe lower because the ballasts underdrive the bulbs...is that true? What do you guys think? would this be enough lighting for :

Crypt wendtii, vallisneria spiralis, echinidorus tennellus, sagitttaria subulata, anubias, rotala rotundifolia, bacopa caroliniana, ludwigia repens, riccia.

let me know if any of these plants can't take it...
Old 02-04-2004, 06:29 PM   #9
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

My fixture is the 30" 130 watt one and it came with two vents and two fans.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:33 PM   #10
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

yea, that's a nice fixture. i believe coralife puts vents and fans in fixtures that have the bulbs next to each other. say, where are they located on the fixture?
Old 02-04-2004, 06:38 PM   #11
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Hubba,

The Coralife enclosures (as well as Hamilton) come with vents and fans. The one that I'm currently using right now is like so and so does the one that George is currently using. I was a little puzzled last time when I saw your lighting since there was no ventilation at all on that sucker :shock: . I can't seem to recall, but are the ballasts in the enclosure too? With no ventilation, the ballast can get very hot if it's placed in there, and can cause the problem you're experiencing. You might want to mount the ballast remotely somewhere else, where it isn't heated up like when it's mounted in the enclosure.

BTW, the lighting of yours isn't truly from Coralife. The guts of it are most likely from them, but the rest isn't (otherwise, they would vent the sucker and would not use an aluminum).

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:42 PM   #12
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

dude i guarantee you it's coralife...
for the money i paid for it, it better be coralife...

it's right here, buddy boy,

http://cgi.no ebay links allowedcom/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=46314
Old 02-04-2004, 06:45 PM   #13
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
Hubba,

The Coralife enclosures (as well as Hamilton) come with vents and fans. The one that I'm currently using right now is like so and so does the one that George is currently using. I was a little puzzled last time when I saw your lighting since there was no ventilation at all on that sucker :shock: . I can't seem to recall, but are the ballasts in the enclosure too? With no ventilation, the ballast can get very hot if it's placed in there, and can cause the problem you're experiencing. You might want to mount the ballast remotely somewhere else, where it isn't heated up like when it's mounted in the enclosure.

BTW, the lighting of yours isn't truly from Coralife. The guts of it are most likely from them, but the rest isn't (otherwise, they would vent the sucker and would not use an aluminum).
yes, the ballasts are inside the hood behind the lights as all coralife hoods are i imagine. maybe i'll take off one of the black endcaps of the hood and that could help with ventilation... or you are right, perhaps i could mount the ballast somewhere else....oh wait, but i just remembered the cord of the bulb endcap is not that long....so i wouldn't be able to do that.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:23 PM   #14
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Not to sound like a punk, but the only things in that ebay item that are corallife are the bulbs.

I wouldn't know though, I don't own any coral life stuff. Regardless, it sucks that your lights went out. If it happens again, I'd return the system.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:45 PM   #15
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to agree with FG here...as the only thing that looks like it came from Coralife are the bulbs. Coralife does have a 130W set-up (2x65W), but that one comes with fans built into the top of the enclosure.

Here's the link for the Coralife enclosure I found:
http://www.hellolights.com/302xcoaqpcho.html

Read up on it...especially on the bottom of the page where it covers heat...

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote