My Ten Gallon Project
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
TurtleShark
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default My Ten Gallon Project

So, I decided a while back to do a planted tank. After many hours of research on the aspects of a planted tank and then on what the care and difficulty levels of each plant I wanted to get, I have finally taken that giant leap into the hole, so to speak, and bought my first couple of plants.

Both of the plants I have right now, Bacopa Caroliana and Telathera Cardinalis, cost me about 10 dollars. I also bought a bag of CaribSea's FloaraMax Midnight color for the substrate. It only gives me about an inch and a half for substrate, but I can always add something more later. Maybe... That also was about ten dollars.

So, after spending about an hour rinsing out the substrate, I was finally able to put it in the tank and get the plants planted.

I tried to angle the substrate (mind if I call it gravel from now on? It's a little easier to type.) so it was higher on the right hand back than anywhere else in the tank. I'm not sure how well I did that, though.

I planted the Telanthera in the very back and broke the bacopa into two parts. One I planted in front of the Telanthera and the other to the side. In case anyone wants to know what I am trying to get my tank to look at, visit this link: http://www.tropica.com/en/layouts/la...scription.aspx . Of course, I can't do it excatly, I don't have a big enough tank nor do I know where to buy the plants.

Anyway, here's the pictures of my tank so far:
The Telanthera Carolinalis:

T.C. Day 1 (2) by Silvermist464, on Flickr

Telanthera cardinalis Day 1 (1) by Silvermist464, on Flickr

Both the Bacopa and the Telanthera:

B and T day 1 by Silvermist464, on Flickr

Light is a 10 watt Fluorescent bulb (I will get another 10 soon.)

Fish currently:
1 Black Ghost Knife
1 Bala Shark
1 Tiger Barb.

All three fish have a 55 gallon as a main tank but are in the small one for medications.
So, there you have it. Day one.
55 gallon -- 2 bala sharks, 8 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark // 29 gallon -- 1 four inch painted turtle // 10 gallon -- many small ramshorn snails, 2 plants, 5 serpae tetra, 2 guppies, 2 nerite snails // 10 gallon -- 6 mollies // 10 gallon -- nothing // 2 gal Jar -- 2 endlers, plants, snails // Recent losses / gains -- 2 male endlers
TurtleShark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Hello! It's been what? Three weeks now? Well, almost at least. Technically it's been 20 days, but who cares???

The plants are growing. The Bacopa is doing well, in fact. The Telanthera is iffy. I guess I need to ask for a little help with it... The leaves are green, some of them at least. I know that's because of not enough light. Other leaves are looking like they are dieing. Granted the tops look wonderful, as seen in the pictures below, but the bottoms... not so much.

Anyway, take a look will you?

P1010046

P1010048

P1010049
55 gallon -- 2 bala sharks, 8 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark // 29 gallon -- 1 four inch painted turtle // 10 gallon -- many small ramshorn snails, 2 plants, 5 serpae tetra, 2 guppies, 2 nerite snails // 10 gallon -- 6 mollies // 10 gallon -- nothing // 2 gal Jar -- 2 endlers, plants, snails // Recent losses / gains -- 2 male endlers
Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Notice the lack of fish this time? That's due to the fact my new Black Ghost Knife brought ick into my hospital tank. The knife and bala shark died while the tiger barb made it. My first success with ick! Even if I lost 2/3 of my fish, at least one lived. Now I know the heat method works.

Random complaint: My friends got a bunch of new fish to add to their all ready pushing the limits tanks. Now their fish have ick and they don't really seem to care... It bothers me. I know how to help but yet they refuse y help. Those poor fish...

Anyway, I got another bulb as well. The plants have responded well.

And, I want to know when and how to trim. I want the telanthera to be the biggest plant in the tank, but right now the bacopa is pushing for that position. Do I just... snip snip ... or do I do something different?

Here's the rest of the pictures:

P1010050

P1010051

P1010055

P1010058
Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Well, a quick update. No pictures right now, though...

I got my fish the other day thanks to PerSmart's Black Friday sale. Only $13 dollars for all of them. I was so happy... Anyway, I'm suspecting that at night they don't get a lot of oxygen, some seem to hang around the top of the tank... Maybe I'll do a light cycle where the light is on for the night instead of the day so I can watch the fish...

Anyway, I started out with 9 guppies, 5 neon tetras, and 5 serpae tetras. I only wanted 5 guppies, but I ended up with 9... Oh well.

In the beginning, one guppy died. It was young, a baby one. I guess it's no wonder it died... Yesterday two more guppies died. Why? I'm not sure. I did a 25% water change, hopefully that will help.

One guppy appears to have ick, but it's far too early to tell. I'll keep you updated...
Old 12-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

You should do something preventative like salt while you're unsure. It may stop it before it gets worse whatever it is

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
TurtleShark
Planted Member

... I would, but I'm not sure how my plants would handle it.

One of the neons does not look very good, either, now that I'm looking at it. It's the smallest and is missing nearly all of it's back fin, and part of it's back appears to be white... It's breathing pretty fast right now, I did put a little MelaFix in the tank to help with the fish's fin issues, most of the tetras seem to be missing parts of their fins. I'll do a 3 gallon water change and see if it helps any. Two of my guppies are hanging around the water surface as well. No deaths today, thank goodness. I fed the fish a little flake food and about a little bit of frozen blood worms. It seems the Serpaes made the most out of the worms...
Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

I just went with the api aquairum salt recommended dosing and saw no problems
Old 12-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Hmm... Usually I just seperate the fish from the plants and put the fish in a different tank. I do prefer to use heat, though, not salt. It seems like last time, even though there was salt, when the water temperature was down to 82 for a couple of days the ick came back full force. Once I got the temperatrue back where it should have been, it went away. So, I'm convinced it's heat that works the best. And, I don't think the plants would enjoy a water temperature of 88 degrees for two weeks....
Old 12-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Lost two guppies and two neons today... Starting to wonder if something happened to my cycle when I put the plants in. You wouldn't think so, but I can't think of any other reason why I'd be loosing fish. Planning on ordering some more liquid tests tonight, hopefully I'll have the results soon... One neon was the one that was acting so stressed yesterday. My last yellow guppy died, along with a blue one.

I'm also considering moving the Serpaes into the 55 gallon tank, as well. That would lower the stocking on the tank a little. Would Tiger Barbs, Bala Sharks, and a rainbow shark get along with those tetra? Neither of the balas are very big, and I'd probably move the Serpaes into a 29 gallon once I get a bigger tank for the sharks. If they do, I'd probably get a few more Serpae. That tank is no where near stocked, yet. I know the balas need room to grow, but for now there's plenty of room in that tank. The biggest bala is around 3 and a half inches.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #10
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Well, I put two teaspoons of salt into the tank just now. One of my neon tetras has not been doing good for the longest time. I put it in a bucket on the floor and covered it with a blanket so it was out of the light. I put it back in the main tank when I turned the plant light off. I figure the salt might help it recover a little and help the rest of the fish out as well. I've got the testing kit ordered, but it could take a week before I get it...
Old 12-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
TurtleShark
Planted Member

First sign of ick... Not surprised considering without a heated house nor a heater for the tank the fish are either stressed or dead. The tank's water temperature was at 56 when I checked it just a few minutes ago. I guess, we all go through our challanges. The heater for my tank was sacrificed to the larger fish tank. Wish I had been home to catch the falling water temperature so I could have prevented the deaths.

So, two neons dead, one barely hanging on. All of the fish have been put into a heater quarantine tank for treatment (not enough surface movement in the planted tank for such high temps. Not to mention the plants use up a lot of oxygen at night.) The one almost dead neon has been seperated from the rest and is getting a douse of hot water every 15 minutes and a drip of hot water in between. I'm trying my hardest right now.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #12
TurtleShark
Planted Member

So, I guess it's time for an update, hmm???

Well, let's see. I now have 3 guppies, and 5 serpae tetras. All in the quarantine 10 gallon, temperature is at 88 degrees and has been there for 2 weeks. I'm going to get the planted 10 gallon cycled with ammonia before I put the fish back in it.

Speaking of cycling, it's time for a water change in the q-10. I've got a reading of ammonia AND nitrite in it. Maybe they both will cycle. No... I'm not leaving the q-10 set up after the planted 10 is cycled. Not enough room in my room for the turtle tank and both 10. As it is, the fish are on the floor. I can't even open the bottom half of my dresser because of the tank.

All fish are eating and seem healthy. The serpaes are back up to where they should be.

Had a mishap with the planted 10's light the first day I put it on a timer. The light never came on. The plants looked a little wilted for the next few days, but now they are better. The light is set to turn on at 8 and shut off at 4pm. Is that good? I was having algae problems (the snails are working to keep it under control.) I think that the algae was caused by the lights being on too long. Hopefully this will help.

So, I'm off to do a 50% water change and get some pictures posted!

Thank you for all those interested enough to check out this journal. I hope you like the tank so far.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #13
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Well, how about those pictures I promised a long time ago?

The plants are doing wonderful! No maintenance what so ever from me, except for topping the tank off. The water is wonderfully clear.

The fish are all doing very well, as well. Seems I've got a bunch of hardy fish on my hands! I've been putting off doing a water change for over a week now. I know, I know... Anyway, I did two 3 gallon water changes on the tank, it's now nice and clear again. I still haven't gotten that ammonia I've been waiting for. I'm trying, though.

So, here are the update pictures:

Anyone know if it is normal for the under sides of this plant to be so red?

And, there you have it!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #14
TurtleShark
Planted Member

Ah, I'm so very happy! Today is a good day.

Why?
Well, I was excited. I was finally going to PetSmart to buy the ghost shrimp I've been wanting. As I walked into the store, I remember thinking I'd acept Otos as well, if they didn't have any ghost shrimp.

But, the real thing I was wanting was Nerite Snails. Now, for those of you who might be reading this and not know what the little snails are, they are snails that are said to eat diatoms (brown algae) and Green Spot Algae! My tank has had a major case of GSA, but not too bad, and a minor case of diatoms. My pond snails are refusing to eat either of them. After searching and reading that Nerites eat GSA, I wanted some. I looked around, check PetSmart's website. Lo and behold, they had some, at least on the site they did. I took my time getting to the store, and by the time I did, the nerites were taken off the web site.

Disapointed, I began looking at place to buy them off the internet. The price for those things was outrageous! 5 dollars a snail? No. I gave up on them.

Well, today I walked in with my heart set on shrimp or otos. I met up with a friend that had been at the store as well, and then I began my search for ghost shrimp. I made my way down the tanks, looking inside each tank for any ghost shrimp. I didn't see any. So, I began reading the tags. As I made my way back toward where I had started, my friend found the tank the shirmp were meant to be in. Nothing except fish. I was dissapointed but not ready to give up. I wandered around for a while, admiring the Rubber Nose Plecos and other fish before I found the oto's tank. Nothing but neons, and very stressed neons at that.

At that point, I'd all but given up. I took one last sweep at the tank, with a gasp of shock, I crouched down next to the sign that read "Assorted Nerites" I looked all over the glass but all I could find were pond snails and... whatever those spiral snails are called. As far as I could tell, there was none.

Then, as I scorwerd the gravel, I saw a different looking snail. It was larger than the ponds and didn't have that point at the very end of their shell. No, it looked, almost, like a mini apple snail!

Excited, I wandered up and down the tanks, trying to find an employee that was not busy explaining to a customer that they could not return a fish without the reciept. I kept going back to the tank and searching for my tiny snail again. Finally, one employee stopped and asked if we needed anything.

I said yes, I wanted a couple snails. She asked what kind and I told her "Nerite." She had never heard of them before. As far as she knew, they only had mystery snails. I took her to the tank, pointed at the sign, and then croched down to find my snail. I pointed it out to her. Unsure, she reached in and picked it up. Not wanting to sell me a pond snail, she wandered off to ask someone that had been working in the fish department longer than she had. She came back and told me it was, indeed, a Nerite. A small one, but a Nerite.

While she was gone, I was searching for another. I found one and asked her to get that to.

So, long story short, I went to petsmart for a shrimp or an oto, and came home with a pair of Nerites. Today was a good day. Let's all just hope that they survive!

Oh, and anyone know how to breed them? Like, setting up the salt water tank (from what I've read, they should have full salt for the best success.) I'd love to have some for my 55 gallon, but they don't come free!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:25 AM   #15
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow seems like you have been having a tough time with losing fish and all, glad you keep going.
Awesome you found your snails!!!! No idea how to breed them, I've never had any myself, scared of the white eggs they lay all over, but if you want to breed them you should like that
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.