Africans and SA compatibility?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 09-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Synyster1337
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Africans and SA compatibility?

Hey all. I just moved a 75 into my room and finished setting it up last night. I was wondering if, with the current stock, I could throw a Jack Dempsey in there. My friend owns the current stock, but is letting me keep the aquarium until he can set his 125 up at his place. He's got a red pike, another pike sp, a banded leporinus (I believe that's what he said), a raphael cat and a synodontis hybrid. The terrain is planted, substrate being a mixture of eco complete, tan and black sand, and black gravel. Lots of DW and rocks. I would absolutely love to have a Jack Dempsey.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster1337 View Post
Hey all. I just moved a 75 into my room and finished setting it up last night. I was wondering if, with the current stock, I could throw a Jack Dempsey in there. My friend owns the current stock, but is letting me keep the aquarium until he can set his 125 up at his place. He's got a red pike, another pike sp, a banded leporinus (I believe that's what he said), a raphael cat and a synodontis hybrid. The terrain is planted, substrate being a mixture of eco complete, tan and black sand, and black gravel. Lots of DW and rocks. I would absolutely love to have a Jack Dempsey.
Might could get away with it until the Dempsey reaches five or six inches,then I believe he will re-arrange the substrtae to his liking.
I used to keep large south american cichlid's and only plant's in pot's survived.
roadmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Plant keeper
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster1337 View Post

African cichlid and SA cichlid are a big no no. they can't be in the same tank.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Templaflower
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

+1 with plantkeeper. Here's the reason- they can't "talk" to each other. Cichlids from south america all use a similar method of communication, species from Africa all use another. So when one fish says- "back off, this my cave" that signal is sent differently depending on which continent the cichlid is from. (This is a generalization the more closely cichlids are related, or the closer the region, the better they communicate with each other.) Your dempsey won't get the aggressive signals from an african cichlid, and vice versa- so you end up with a ramp up in tensions, and usually the death of one of the fish. Now is that 100%? There's no such thing, of course. Some people get lucky and can mix small amounts of cross continental fish successfully. But usually it's a recipe for disaster.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Dont mix, They will kill each other. it's not a maybe, its a 100%

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

Cichlids or other fish? Because lots of others don't need hard, alkaline water and could go in a low KH/pH tank.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Synyster1337
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyWithTheFish View Post
Cichlids or other fish? Because lots of others don't need hard, alkaline water and could go in a low KH/pH tank.
I am skeptical about hard water and alkaline water requirements, or any parameter requirements for that matter. One dude at my LFS got CRS to breed in our local water supply, which is basically liquid rock. Also, I have been able to acclimate any fish other than those with extreme parameter requirements.

On another note, I just read an article on pike cichlids and read that they're South American! That makes me so happy! I'm gonna order a jack dempsey ASAP! I've got a great little 75 gallon setup that I'd love to house him in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
jagerlite
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have had ok results with housing convicts, kenyis, and fire mouths in same tank. Maybe it was luck? that tank was running like that for about 8 months with no issues. I guess like everything in fish keeping there's always an exception
jagerlite is offline   Reply With Quote