BBRR Club
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Default BBRR Club

This club is for shrimpers who are interested in embarking on a journey to create Blue Body Red Rili shrimp.

The image above is from Michael Nadal, and is an incredible BBRR.

The term BBRR will be used because Blue Rili is now synonymous with an all blue shrimp. This is to avoid confusion when talking shrimp- especially necessary in this type of club.

I will keep the master list here in the first post and will add members here as they join. To join, just make a post saying you would like to join.

Member have the right to post in their sigs: BBRR Club!
Member numbers may also be included if so desired.

Member numbers:

1 Soothing Shrimp
2 Duck5003
3 OblongShrimp
4 Randyl
5 Water-Kitties
6 Finalplay10
7 Mosspearl
8 Olive
9 Kehy
10 jmhk
11 Shrimpo
12 PatriotP
13 Mr.reef
14 Msjinkzd
15 pleco808
16 Bud29
17 Yeswaitnosorry

Lets feel free to share ideas, updates, tips, and above all- just have fun!

Last edited by Soothing Shrimp; 02-17-2014 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: updated list
Soothing Shrimp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

So far I've tried red rili x blue rili crosses by placing RR and BR in the same tank. I've wound up with red rilis with barely noticeable blue in the middle, blue rilis (no red), red rilis, and the occasional cherry. These have all interbred.

I've separated out 5 or so that have at least some blue in the middle, and now have 1 berried. It will be interesting to see the shrimplets and see how I proceed from here.

Does anyone else have BBRR or RR yet? Is everyone in the planning stages?

I know some people are setting up tanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
shrimpo
Algae Hoarder!

PTrader: (45/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
So far I've tried red rili x blue rili crosses by placing RR and BR in the same tank. I've wound up with red rilis with barely noticeable blue in the middle, blue rilis (no red), red rilis, and the occasional cherry. These have all interbred.
I am assuming that this is incomplete dominant gene action where red is stronger than blue? what do you think about this:

/ R / r
......\......\.......
b / Rb / br
.....\.......\.......
r / Rr / rr
......\.......\.......

Rr= red rili.
br= blue rili.
rr = red cherry.
Rb= red rili with barely blue in the middle.

Last edited by shrimpo; 09-23-2013 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: Adjusting lines
shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
PatriotP
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I would love those for my new tank :O I'm new to shrimp, 10g is in cycle right now, any good reads on how to work on getting these? Or is it out of a beginners grasp?
PatriotP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotP View Post
I would love those for my new tank :O I'm new to shrimp, 10g is in cycle right now, any good reads on how to work on getting these? Or is it out of a beginners grasp?
Not out of any beginner grasp. Basically the trick is to have red shell parts on a blue tissue body. In my experience the blue tissue gene tends to reduce or eliminate the red. Thus the trick to try to stabilize it.

That's what this club is for. Trying new ideas, theories, etc to create a BBRR. No real recipe for it yet, so anybody can join our club and have a crack at it with their own shrimp.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
PatriotP
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Not out of any beginner grasp. Basically the trick is to have red shell parts on a blue tissue body. In my experience the blue tissue gene tends to reduce or eliminate the red. Thus the trick to try to stabilize it.

That's what this club is for. Trying new ideas, theories, etc to create a BBRR. No real recipe for it yet, so anybody can join our club and have a crack at it with their own shrimp.
That sounds awesome, Hopefully my tank will be ready in a couple more weeks, i have plants planted just waiting on some driftwood in the mail now then for the cycle to finish! May have to start of with some Red Rilis and get them settled in then start introducing some blues sounds like a fun project! Will be back when its time to get some shrimp!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I will start with my dream blue and do something silly to it. Will update what happens ;-)
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Going to cross RR x Dream?
Old 09-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #9
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm subscribed! So, what do we do to start? Since I'm new to shrimp altogether, I admit I have a lot to learn. If I understand it correctly, rilis can occasionally pop up out of BVs? Of course, if I wait for that to happen, it may take quite a while.

How do you suggest I begin, Soothing? I suppose I could start with a couple RR and a couple BR, then add some of my BV once they breed.

I do have some well-established planted jars I could use or I could possibly move my betta to the 10g, provided he doesn't try to eat the guppies.

I'd be happy to trade *lots* of plants for breeding stock if anyone is interested, or I'll just wait until my budget is a little flush again to stock up.
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

RR rarely pop out of BV, but *can* pop out of BR.

Blue Rili have been bred to reduce/eliminate the red.

BV have a mutation that causes the red to fade away- usually around juvie age. You would be surprised how many sellers don't even know that. In fact, because the final coloration looks very much the same, people often assume they are, when in fact they have different genetics.

Now, having said that, you do see the occasional BVR (Blue Velvet Red). That's usually less than 1%. The red lasts until adulthood, but even then the BV mutation can still make it fade away given time.

This is why I personally chose not to use BV in the creation of BBRR. My own theory is while the first generation would probably not have the red fade (because the mutation is now split), by the 2nd generation and beyond the possibility of the mutation showing up again would be very frustrating. Just imagine you finally have nice BBRR and your stock randomly loses the red, while some keep it. It would take years to try to breed that out, and even then you may not be successful. (?)

---

However I suggest that people try their own theories about what they believe is best, and let us know your trials, and results. Both good and bad. IN this way, we can continue to learn more.

Right now Rachel (MsJinkzd) has a sale on RR for $2 each. She's a member of TPT, has an excellent reputation and it's a good price.

I over sold on my mixed rilis and am now waiting for my colony to build up again. Perhaps by November.

Aquabid also has RR for sale. I personally stay away from those ads that say BR/BV as to me it is evidence that a seller doesn't know the difference...but then again, there are some that swear up and down there is no difference- so make up your own mind.

Last edited by Soothing Shrimp; 09-13-2013 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: info
Soothing Shrimp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

I'm in the process of setting up my new shrimp/fish room, so once that is done i will have room for a lot more tanks.

At this time, the only RR i have are ones i have been working on crossing PFR's with Snowballs. I am two generations in and so far what i want to happen, is going well (knocks on wood). So i dont want to use these guys.

Now i do have DBV, some with some nice dark tissue. Until i get my hands on some RR, what i'm going to do is throw two of my nicer, mature DBV females in my PFR tank. Once they berry, seperate them and we'll see what happens with the first generation, if anything. Really just something to try while i gather more shrimp and tanks

This is not the approach i would prefer, with red typically fading out in the BV line but i'll be interested to see what happens with it for now. The only reason is, when crossing snowball and PFR I have gotten some really cool shrimp so far, so i'm hoping for the same type of effect with DBV and PFR.

Thanks for setting all this up Bryce! I'm really looking forward to what we can all come up with. Happy shrimping!
Duck5003 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the explanation! Shrimp genetics are all new to me, but I'm here to learn.

I'm patient, so I'll wait until I've got some extra bucks and either pick some up from Rachel or you when the time is right (unless someone else wants to trade for plants... otherwise I'll be setting up an RAOK soon...I'm seriously getting overrun). Don't think I want to chance on AB.

Sounds like it may be best to leave my BV out of the equation.
Member in good standing

Old 09-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
PatriotP
Algae Grower

I think ill start with some red rilis get them going then introduce others, has anyone tried introducing carbon rilis? I kno they have some black but blue as well!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

I was playing around with the same idea, P. The unknown factor for me is if the rili gene is located at the same loci. If not, then wilds are thrown.

If so, then the question becomes if there is a single dominant color gene or multiples.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Shrimp make rabbits seem easy. All we had to deal with were agouti vs self genes (basically 4 variations of each), and if they were complicated by spots, Dutch, harlequin or hidden by white. This is going to be fun.
Member in good standing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.