the "lower 40" liters growout (aquaverde)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-16-2004, 03:04 AM   #1
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

No aquascaping here, just the 10g I'm using to cultivate plants for the 65. Hope I have some ideas about how to place these once I get that thing going.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:07 AM   #2
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

two more...
Old 01-16-2004, 03:09 AM   #3
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Jason Bowing.... Chanting I am not worthy....
Old 01-16-2004, 04:45 AM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaverde
No aquascaping here...
Right... now I want to see your aquascaped tanks. Any due date on the 65?
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:54 AM   #5
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

Lol, Jason funny :lol:

Wasser, it's more or less a money thing- pretty much have blown the play money with what I have already purchased. I have been debating going cheap on the substrate, rather than going full blown eco-complete/Fertiplant, but while pond dirt/Profile might do the trick, I'm really not interested in risking the problems that could arise if I get the wrong stuff in there. I really don't have the knowledge at this point to feel confident doing that. And it looks really kind of ugly. The 65 will be my last tank and my "big" tank, so as hard as it is having to wait (had the tank for over two months now!), I'm just going to make sure to do it right.

This growout tank is gravel over Profile/mulm, and everything seems to grow OK in it, but I want an enriched substrate for the 65. Me loves crypts Plus, it gives me the option to deviate from the estimative index even more than I already have. Right now, I'm not dosing K+ in this tank other than what comes with the KNO3 dosing.

I have the lights, tank, stand, filter (although it needs a little work), background material and reactor for the 65. Will be doing the large pain in the neck DIY CO2 on this one, and will switch over to pressurized as soon as I can. I'm putting this together leisurely as time allows, since it will still be a little while before I can launch. But to give a straight answer, it will probably be another month at least before the 65 is done.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:00 PM   #6
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

James,

Sweet little tank, I know how that 'I'm not aquascaping' thing goes.

I know how you feel having an empty tank sitting there. I picked up a 56 column tank just after New Years, and I'm still pulling together the rest of the equipment for it. I forgot about having to extend the CO2 system and providing light and all that while I was excitedly buying the tank. All I could envision was lace plants standing up in an adequately deep tank. I do the cheap substrate thing so I wasn't worried about that.

I'm picking up a 75 tank stand and sump from a soon to be "ex-reefer" too, but that one will have to wait for a bit.

My wife asked me where I was going to put the 75 and I said at the end of the kitchen table would be nice but it would be hard to run a CO2 system there. :cry:

She said "Can't you just run the tubing alongside the cable for the DSL line?"

To which I said "I can put the tank there?"

I love it when they fix your problem for you and inadvertently give you permission to do something.

I love these guys who get into reefs allout, then quit and sell everything for the first few notes of a song.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:45 PM   #7
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

You could have knocked me over with a feather when my wife told me she wanted me to get a bigger tank. That was great!
Old 01-16-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

that is cool,great tank
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:45 PM   #9
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Gotta love tanks that just happen on accident! Those are some vivid reds! You should have no trouble making a stunning 65g display when you 10g growout tank looks that healthy.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:49 PM   #10
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, Sam. Some of that red is due to the 9325K NO Aquarays- hands down the most attractive lighting for planted aquaria that I have seen.

The difference in substrate and challenge of DIY CO2 on the larger tank will pose a new puzzle for chemical balance on the 65. I have so much to learn that only experience is going to bring. Even maintaining this initial success is challenge enough. But that's part of the trip, you know .

The accidental attractiveness of this tank has actually given me opportunity to learn a little- for example, the nice contrast between dark bolbitis and the deep red of R. macandra. I think the biggest surprise was the variety of color in such a small tank. I can tell my desire for a single species tank is going on the back burner.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:08 PM   #11
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaverde
.... I can tell my desire for a single species tank is going on the back burner.
In that case don't go rock hounding for the perfect amano rocks, it gets so hard to keep a focus.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 03:25 AM   #12
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

I think the single-species tanks have the potential to make a more profound, powerful emotional impact than the color wheels do- in the hands of an Amano. They're probably more stable, too. I don't know if I'm up to that- have to have the eye for it or excellent luck.

Now there's no real scape in this tank, it's the color, various plant textures and the depth the carpet area provides. I do some trimming to fill the other growout tank, some dosing. Since I'm just beginning to gain experience, it may look completely different in a month. I can tell you it did not look like this last month, or the month before. These bright colors happened, but they change. The reds are a little more orange today. There's a lot to learn, and I'm really glad it's not always just fighting algae.