VIV Lily pipes etc.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Sevenports

Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to SevenportsJohn
Default VIV Lily pipes etc.

Just wanted to let you guys know we have a whole pallet of VIV Lily pipes and other intake/return glassware coming in in a week or so. These will start spreading out and hitting stores soon. We also will start carrying their tools as well, scissors, etc.

If you want to see their product and what we will be distributing: http://www.viv.com.hk/product.php ( Thank god for google translate :P )

Last edited by SevenportsJohn; 08-27-2013 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Addition
SevenportsJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
JohnD72992
Algae Grower

Awesome another ADA knock off!!!
JohnD72992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD72992 View Post
Hmm... your money, spend it where you like it.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
It's called capitalism. I fail to see how it affects you. Open competition keeps the prices low and the options open
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronados View Post
It's called capitalism. I fail to see how it affects you. Open competition keeps the prices low and the options open
And product actually getting to the states right?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
PK1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What would S-Scissors retail for approximately?
PK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK1 View Post
What would S-Scissors retail for approximately?

Not sure yet. This shipment is only the glassware.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenportsJohn View Post
And product actually getting to the states right?
While I agree 100% with this, a "knockoff" (I use that term lightly as I've never seen them) product getting introduced to a new market will need more savings than that to make it. Why would I take a chance to save $10-$20? This is all coming from a guy who has nothing but ADA tanks and cheap ebay lily pipes, but they only cost $25-$40 shipped for a set.

Cal Aqua is a good example. Nice product and great quality, but only a small savings to the BIG name. I wonder how well GLA is doing with these?

Me personally, I'd be willing to spend around $100 for a nice, quality set (inflow and outflow). Anything more and I'll just buy the cheap knockoff ebay ones. In the end it's glass and it's only a matter of time before I break them.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
True, but rewarding the innovators and not the imitators allows for that money to be put back in R&D for new products.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
True, but rewarding the innovators and not the imitators allows for that money to be put back in R&D for new products.
I would agree with you. But at least in the case of some of the brands and products we distribute, products that other companies sell are just rebranded products produced by our brands. It gets confusing, but it is the reality. And then of course some items are made to compete with a product someone else makes (knock off if you want to call it that). So there is a little of both in most companies. We usually get to the source of who originally produced the product though and don't just go for a cheap manufacturer that can duplicate. And then there are items like regulators and and aquariums which lets face it most manufacturers can make, and then just put their own spin on it.

I would say that most important roles of leaders in certain areas are marketing and promotion. Gaining an interest in the products being produced. But for the most part everything that is made such as aquariums, protein skimmers, heaters, etc. etc. are the same as they have always been with just twists and improvements. Very rarely is something produced that is completely original. Rimless tanks were made before ADA, Chillers were made before JBJ, Pyrex glass was used for pipes of different kinds before Lily pipe. It is just the cycle and progression of things.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
That's what patents are for. These "knockoffs" aren't copying some technology, they are copying a style. It's not like ADA spent months running flow optimization simulations on their filters and lily pipes (assumption, but let's be honest...), only to have someone copy their exact specs. Now, if someone copied something like the Spin pipe, which may or may not have a patent, you could make that argument
Old 08-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #12
JohnD72992
Algae Grower

Default VIV Lily pipes etc.

look at the site he linked... It's an EXACT copy of ADA. They even made the label look exactly like ADA... Just calling it what it is. Even down to the feeder and mini diffuser.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #13
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
That's what patents are for. These "knockoffs" aren't copying some technology, they are copying a style. It's not like ADA spent months running flow optimization simulations on their filters and lily pipes (assumption, but let's be honest...), only to have someone copy their exact specs. Now, if someone copied something like the Spin pipe, which may or may not have a patent, you could make that argument
Actually they did do something like that. Almost all of their products have had a TON of R&D put in, seriously they rival Reef products like Vortech in this regard. The Solar series took 10 years to develop after an in depth study of lighting patterns and spectrum in the Amazon river (yep, straight to the source). They are not the gold standard for nothing. Back to the Lily Pipe series, they tested flow patterns to find which shape was the optimal one for use in a planted aquarium, one that would provide good circulation across the entire tank and not disturb the substrate or plants too much. This concept holds true even on large 180g where they use 1 set of pipes and have lush growth still. Then to further refine the design, you can raise the pipe to lower or increase oxygenation of the water. Finally they subtlety incorporated a element of Wabi Sabi in the product, when you raise it up it sounds like a Japanese creek or stream. The genuine P-6 Lily pipe is one of a very limited amount of products that impressed me after purchase. Pictures on a website don't do it justice, only once you purchase and use their products do you fully understand the hype and popularity. It is not because they are gimmicks, they are fully functional and aesthetically nice, form +function. If you are careful cleaning then the two downsides (algae and breakage) disappear and you are left with the perfect outflow. ADA further innovated by making multiple designs for use in different tanks like a Poppy (gentler), Violet (faster), Spin (nano) and stainless steel (durability) pipes. At least Cal Aqua tried to do something different with some of their glassware after the fact, but now loads of brands are knocking off what ADA created and popularized.

Ps: Sorry for going way off topic, last post regarding it. I just like everyone to have the knowledge and information available to them.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
JohnD72992
Algae Grower

Quality before quantity
Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
SevenportsJohn
Sponsor

Quote:
Quality before quantity
Are you even aware of what kind of quality VIV produces? I do, it is actually very nice. And there a quite a few members on here that have been waiting for it. Try it out first would be my suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Awesome!

Where will we be able to buy this stuff once it comes in?
Once it starts to go out I will update this with where it is going and when.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-28-2013 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: Cleaning up back to back posts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.