hardscape resources
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 12-24-2006, 07:40 AM   #1
mikey_hong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default hardscape resources

anyone have any good resources for aquarium safe hardscape (rocks, driftwood, root, etc) in the nyc metro area aside from the usual suspects? i'm starting a set of nanos and getting ideas together for a planted 20 gallon long i plan to setup after i move apartments. i'm going to try an iwagumi style for one of the nanos. any leads would be greatly appreciated!
mikey_hong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
epicfish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)

Manzanita Burlworks - The Source for Quality Handcrafted Manzanita Products

Definately not in your area, but well worth it.
epicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #3
spypet
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

mikey, I've been to every major petstore in the 5-boros and they all disappoint when it comes to planted tanks and nano needs. since it's a small tank, you are much better off buying from ebaY where tons of rocks are being sold each day which is what I will end up doing once I get a larger tank. first research what types you like, make sure to research that they are inert, then go for it. try to pick a seller who flat USPS ships for $8-10 as they are usually the most honest and best to deal with. don't think buying locally will save you money as most LPS know they are competing with online sources so they build the shipping into their already exorbitant markup.
if you insist on shopping locally so you can see and touch the rocks first, a good place would be Pacific Aquarium 46 Delancey St (212) 995-5895. call them at least twice (different guys will give you different stories) to be sure you come right after their bi-weekly rock&wood delivery. everything is displayed dry, but they always have a few empty poorly lit tanks you can use, to see how the rocks look immersed.
a better place that might be worth driving out to would be Fish Town USA, 196-33 Northern Blvd (718)-539-5396. also call first so you get to arrive after a fresh rock delivery. keep in mind this places inventory is half salt, half fresh, so alot of their rocks are for salt and brackish tanks. this place is also one of the few great, algae free, aquatic plant sellers around New York, but they are mostly large leaf low tech plants.
I've never done this, but always wanted to try, so let us know how it works out; most of the Flower Market District is still around 27th Street and 7th Avenue. there are a few Bonsai hobby supply houses on the street and upstairs. I imagine most of them sell wonderful nano appropriate rocks at wholesale prices. so if you work or commute through that area, it may be worth the pit stop. try to go before work or during your lunch hour while the place is still buzzing, since after 3pm most of the area shuts down for the day.
one last piece of advice when rock shopping; alway buy a few more pieces than you need. that way when you get home you can try a few extra combinations in your tank. so you waste a few dollars on rocks you don't need; sure beats having to go back for more and remember; for iwagumi you only need 3 rocks, so choose them wisely, grasshopper...
here is the type of rocks most local pet stores will sell;
Natural Aquarium Rock & Stone
so if you want something more exotic, you MUST buy online.
here are some rock type ideas to explore;
Feller Stone - Welcome to Feller Stone
rocks I'm exploring for my own tanks;
Schist rock
petrified wood rock (especially from Arizona)
spypet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:40 AM   #4
mikey_hong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

I finally found some time to get out to the wholesale/flower district over the weekend... I've also been thinking of using it as a resource for my planted tanks. Anyways, thought I'd share some info and pictures on my brief hunt for manzanita branches there.

On 28th street between 6th and 7th avenue are a bunch of places that seemed promising for various items. I ended up stopping at Dry & Silk (123 W 28th Street) since they had a nice selection of manzanita branches right out on the sidewalk in some large bins. They had varying sizes ranging from small branches to full on 5+ foot trees. The 2 branches I picked up were $15 each.

The large picture is of the 2 branches straight from the store, the smaller 3 are pictures of the branch on the right cut into 2 pieces using a hacksaw. To get an idea of the size of the branches, the boxes in the pictures are 8" cubes... I'm planning on using the branches in my 8" nano cubes if it isn't already obvious haha.

I'm still looking for local places (accessible by subway/bus) to find suitable raw/natural rocks and stone... having a hard time finding leads for stone suppliers. I'm thinking out here in Brooklyn or maybe Jersey will be my best bet. Anyone know any general contractors or landscape architects? I figure they might be a good place to start asking.

tanks: 55g fb hex, 20g long

fauna: res, sae, amano shrimp, red cherry shrimp, pond snails, cardinal tetras

flora: xmas moss, mini moss, pearl grass, dwarf hairgrass, anubias nana petite, amazon sword, duckweed, giant duckweed, banana plant, algae

Last edited by mikey_hong; 02-20-2007 at 08:43 PM..
mikey_hong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
spypet
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_hong View Post
On 28th street between 6th and 7th avenue are a bunch of places that seemed promising for various items. I ended up stopping at Dry & Silk (123 W 28th Street) since they had a nice selection of manzanita branches right out on the sidewalk in some large bins.
Wow, awesome post - I just noticed it
did they have red bark? or only sandblasted?
please let us know how your rock hunt goes.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
soundtweakers
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

nice wood!!

in addition, I came across a single piece of very "amano" looking petrified wood in Pacific Aquarium on Delancy, I didn't get it because I would want a few more pieces. The owner (John I think) is restocking them after I told him they're out of stock on those.

I should check it out this weekend.

billy
soundtweakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
turbosaurus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)

You need to find a friend who lives in the suburbs LOL. I have a couple places up here to find different color granite along the side of the road, or even in a friend's backyard...

I do suggest that you find somewhere local so you can pick your own, it will be worth it. I have hunted through literally tons of rocks to find three or four that were just perfect for my 20 tall.

I have found petrified wood and slate at petland discounts up here... It might be worth a try. It is expensive, but how many pounds of rock could you need for a 8" tank?
turbosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
spypet
Planted Tank Guru

sound, make sure you confirm over the phone multiple times that they restocked the wood/rock you want. whenever I call Pacific Aquarium they are notorious for lying over the phone and telling you whatever you want to hear to get you back into the store. either that, or their delivery schedules are terribly unreliable, since every time a delivery is due, I come to the store only to find out "tomorrow" or "next week"... "so sorry".

I was just in Seavision, which is a small very well kept LPS in Astoria only a block off the Grand Central, and a few blocks from the N,W train 718.777.1007 and they had a fresh box full of petrified wood around $2-$3 per pound. They also had the same price on a large box full of Pagoda stones. They also have probably the best prices in NYC on standard AGA tanks and stands so ask for a quote when you are there. These guys probably sell more tanks than all other Queens LPS's combined. They may also be the only LPS in NYC with real live Blackworms $1/oz, not the red Tubifex junk every other LPS has. Just to give you an idea how into our hobby this place is, they actually had 40gal breeder tanks in stock and ready for sale. They only charge $20 to deliver any size tank & stand here in Queens, can you believe it!?

http://www.seathevision.com/
Old 06-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #9
soundtweakers
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks, Skypet.

I'll definitely check them out for the petrified woods
However, I just checked their website, and a standard AGA(that's All-Glass Aquarium,right?) 20 gallon I paid $24.99 at petland discount cost $65.69.

regarding Pacific, I had both good and bad experience with them, you are right about them say anything to get you in. Maybe we should start another updated LPS thread.

billy
soundtweakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
spypet
Planted Tank Guru

sound, SeaVision's web published prices are MSRP
when you go into the store you get the bargains.
For example, a 4x2x2' 125gal is MSRP for $775.
They quoted me $410 in the store
and I'm not even Asian...

also, you can't judge a store by it's starter tank prices.
petlanddiscounts loss leads with cheap starter tanks
because they figure you'll end up buying a few hundred
dollars of their other overpriced crap with any new tank.
I once walk in there to only buy a 10gal tank to isolate
a sick fish, and the manager almost had a heart attack.

I'm glad you had some good experiences with Pacific.
I've gone there three times and never bought a thing
because the item was still not in stock yet -"so sorry"
or any left over fish were too small or sickly to risk it.

I've seen toilet bowls cleaner than their fish tanks.
I'm sure if I got there when they are unpacking a
major fish delivery, I could get some real bargains,
however then you risk having the fish die from
acclimation in your own home tank. I'd rather they
die in the pet store so I don't have to pay for it.

They also like to bait and switch you on rock prices.
when I brought a cheap lace rock up for weighing
and paying, they claimed it was something else that
commanded a much higher price. I just left in disgust.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
bubbless
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

hey pplz,

can ne1 tell me the address for Seavision? I would love to go there since i live in Astoria, and b/c all the other LPS suk like hell!

p.s.their webadd doesnt work!
bubbless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
kindbud
Algae Grower

25-19 astoria blvd. they're right across the street from astoria manor, that big wedding/dining/event hall. just a few blocks from the astoria blvd subway station.
kindbud is offline   Reply With Quote