help dosing 55 gallon tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
blackneon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default help dosing 55 gallon tank

hi. im just asking for advice to how to fertilize my 55 gallon tank. tank specs are:
Tank: 55 gallon 5mos old
Light: 2x32w t8 6500k lithonia diamond fixture. 8hrs a day
Co2: pressurized misting through maxi jet 600 needle wheel mod. yellow DC 3hrs before lights out
WC: would plan to do 40% weekly
Substrate: MGOC potting mix capped with flourite gravel
Ferts: complete all (dry) macros and micros and GH booster
equiptment: cascade 1000 canister, 2 koralia circ pump, fluval heater
plants: amazon sword, java ferns, anubias, pennywort? micro sword, crypts, pelia and terestrial plant tied on a driftwood
fishes: angels, rummynoses, blackneons, cories and otos

would like to dose ei twice a week as im thinking im in the low to medium light range. would like to hear from someone familiar with lighting if my assumption is correct.

it used to be an excel tank and i dose half ei twice a week. decided to hook up the co2 to boost plant health.

would like to hear some advice. thanks a lot in advance..
blackneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

With the lighting system you have it seems you may be in the medium light range with the lighting. As for dosing the tank can you specify "complete all (dry) macros and micros and GH booster" as in exactly which ones you're using.

As for the drop checker, I would reduce the amount of co2 that's going into the tank because you want a bright lime green. I would turn your co2 system on 2 hours before the lights come on, and shut the co2 off 2 hours before the lights go out. I also suggest maybe cutting down to 7-7.5 hours of lighting.

Believe me you'll notice a big difference with your tank once you change your co2, and lighting schedule. Once I got into this lighting/co2 schedule my plants took off with amazing new growth, color, and over all quality of the tank.

I'll show you what I mean... Here's my old 75 gallon tank and what it looked like once I made the adjustments, especially the amazon sword in the back right of the tank!!!