Using Miracle Gro Organic Garden Soil?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 06-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Mankey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Using Miracle Gro Organic Garden Soil?

I've been planning on starting an NPT soon, and saw that Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix was the recommended soil for such a thing. Unfortunately, I forgot that it was specifically potting mix that was recommended, so I ended up getting the garden soil instead. I've looked around and have seen people saying not to use it, but I have also seen others say that they have decided to use it and that it worked out for them. So since I'm not really sure about this, I thought I'd ask you guys for your opinion on this.

Should I use it? Or should I accept the mistake and go through the trouble of spending more money? I mean, if garden soil could also work, then I would see no reason to spend more money.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

I'd say make it a 1/3 or less of total substrate thickness, and keep it to tank center, cap it with sand and choose plant layout you're not going to be relocating
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Problem with garden soil is it has a lot more "filler" like twigs and the such. A lot more stuff to float up and less helpful in general. You could go two ways. Do it right and do it once, or try it out and see? Garden soil would not be a waste, can always use it in your garden.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
Mankey
Algae Grower

Yeah, I think I'm going to go the try and see route. The whole "garden soil could be used for the garden" was part of my main case toward convincing my mom to buy some. :v Unfortunately, I do not think it would work too well a 2nd time for a "you can use the extra for your potted plants!"
Old 06-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

You can put it in a big bowl or tub, wet it really well. Let it sit for a few hours and scoop out the big floaters. Do this over and over a few times then let the soil dry a bit. Wet it again the next day, let it dry a bit more and wet one more time to dry a bit. It will take about a week if you put it outside to dry quick but by the time you do this it will be absolutely fine with little floaters by the time you are done. I did this and then mixed in half and half soil/floramax that I had left over and it's working out fine.

Before i read to do the above, we bought soil not realizing mix was better and so have a base of soil in 4 of our tanks. They have no problems, grow plants perfectly except I think they could maybe use a few root tabs for the swords I have, everything else grows great. Will bite the bullet soon and buy some root tabs but which ones to buy confuse me. Still to new to the fertilizer stuff so what should be in it makes my brain hurt.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
You can put it in a big bowl or tub, wet it really well. Let it sit for a few hours and scoop out the big floaters. Do this over and over a few times then let the soil dry a bit. Wet it again the next day, let it dry a bit more and wet one more time to dry a bit. It will take about a week if you put it outside to dry quick but by the time you do this it will be absolutely fine with little floaters by the time you are done. I did this and then mixed in half and half soil/floramax that I had left over and it's working out fine.

Before i read to do the above, we bought soil not realizing mix was better and so have a base of soil in 4 of our tanks. They have no problems, grow plants perfectly except I think they could maybe use a few root tabs for the swords I have, everything else grows great. Will bite the bullet soon and buy some root tabs but which ones to buy confuse me. Still to new to the fertilizer stuff so what should be in it makes my brain hurt.

This is a good idea.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

The only reason not to use the bagged as "garden soil" product is it contains animal manure instead of sterilized poultry litter (chicken crap) in it. The garden soil when used by most accounts requires 2-3 water changes and a couple weeks to stop releasing ammonia.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
Mankey
Algae Grower

For a while there, I thought I had done something wrong since ALL the dirt had decided to float when I tried it, but then I looked again and saw you said wait a few hours.I just hope I have enough soil there.

Also, I'm assuming this process is also supposed to help with the the ammonia issue. If it doesn't completely solve it.... well, you need ammonia to begin a cycle, right?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I recommend the 'silent cycle' for dealing with residual ammonia. Plants take up ammonia, faster growing stem plants take up more. If you plant like 50% of the substrate with these they will take care of the ammonia and the Nitrogen cycle will develop at its own rate.

I do see there might be a problem with the stem plants if you want to remove some later because the roots may pull up soil. Stem plants really don't have much in the way of root systems though.

This thread has been educational. I'm trying to get used to the idea of MGOPM and how to do it.
Django is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

I am just done flooding my tank with the garden soil. I made sure I screened out all the larger chunk until I am getting a very fine dirt with some wood chips and stems. I presoaked it in my tank for 3 days, while I am waiting for my laterite to be delivered. I kept mixing them until they are mud like texture. Cap it with some fine gravels. It has been over 24 hours now and I am not smelling anything from the water. The water is just cloudy.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Last edited by tetra73; 07-14-2013 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: typo
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.