Lighting options for a 180 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
jestes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Lighting options for a 180 gallon

Alright guys, I've got a dilemma. I currently have two 55 gallon tanks that are planted, but I'm getting ready to move up to a 180 gallon. One of the 55's is pretty low light, but the other has a 4x54 T5HO on it, although I only run one pair at a time. I plan on combining the fish in these two into the 180, and mothballing the two 55's. My problem is that I don't know if I have what I'll need to light the 180 to a medium level, and if I do, whether LEDs would be a better option anyway.

Here are my questions:
1. Will the 4x54 setup provide medium light on the 180? I know it'll only cover the middle of the tank, and thats ok, but I've never dealt with a tank this deep.

2. I'm thinking about going with LED lights anyway, so can someone give me some recommendations on manufacturers and how much light I would need? I know they'll cost more on the front end, but I like the idea of them not burning out as quickly, lower energy cost, and the fact that they only emit very specific wavelengths. I know household fluorescent lights put off a tiny amount of UV, but I don't know how much our 6700k plant lights do. Maybe it's the same insignificant amount, or maybe it's a ton more.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
jestes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

One led source to look at is www.buildmyled.com. They have a diy app that allows you to custom design [they build it for you] an led light or you can choose a premade led light. If you go the diy you can achieve a color temp of 5500-5900k with a CRI of 98. That's a nearly impossible combo with other lights, florescent to be specific with the possible exception of plasma lighting.
From what I've heard here on this forum BML is very helpful with your questions.
DIY approach
470nm Blue
505nm Cyan
505nm Cyan
525nm Green
525nm Green
590nm Amber
625nm Red
590nm Amber

Last edited by Steve001; 05-13-2013 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: .
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (62/98%)

get a couple ray 2 48". Done.
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Fishmommy
Planted Member

Default Lighting options for a 180 gallon

I have a canopy on my 180 so for LEDs I went with 6x 26w AH Supply LED modules.

Sent from my gadget using Trippytalk HD
Fishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
majorwoo
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

DIY CFL's is what I would(did do). I was happy with it on my last tank, and on this tank.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...6&postcount=39
majorwoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.