Beginner needs help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
sacme
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Beginner needs help

So I just made this account today and I am very new to this site and needed some help

I recently got a job a Big Al's fish store and am learning about fish, I'm still learning so cut me a little slack. I'm really interested in starting a planted aquarium, they fascinate me. I know a decent amount about fish, keeping an aquarium and a little less about plants. The tank range I'm currently looking at is 10-15 gallons. I was wondering what substrate I should be looking at and about dosing in general and how to go about it. Lighting and filters (which would you recommend). How much all of this might cost, what I'm getting myself into and anything else you guys think i might need to know. Working at a fish store give me great availability to plants and fish at discounted prices, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Thank you, all help is appreciated
sacme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Beginner needs help

What are you trying to achieve in your tank? What type of plants do you want? What style filter (canister, HOB, etc)? Give us an overview of your goal and that will help us help you.

My 40B Work In Progress
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
sacme
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

See this is my problem, as I am still fairly new I am not sure which plants need high light/low light, if they need to be rooted in the ground or what. I like the look of a carpet bottom and a nice piece of driftwood with plants growing on it. As far as filters go, I wouldn't know which would be the best. I really am quite new and im just starting to learn about plants. Im looking at a more square aqaurium, so maybe a bio cube. Once again since I dont know much, any personal experience information or really anything at all is appreciated.
sacme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquascape, begginer, help planted tank, plant growth