Stem failure
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 04-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Stem failure

Okay so about 2 months or so ago I had a big melt. I have since fixed that problem and the plant that made it through that are coming back but the new plants are starting to show sign of something going wrong the stems at or just above the substrate are rooting away and the plants float up to the top what could be the cause I dose root tabs, NPK, and Iron an such 3x to 4x a week. The top of the plants are growing really well about two inches in the last mouth. So what is going wrong.

29gal
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not sure but the old leaves on some other stems are kind of Holy as well.

29gal
Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
rowdaddy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Stem failure

With a melt like that. You should trim and replant the tops of your stems. You're typically not going to get growth out of those bottoms again. Every once in a while you will, but I think you're best to just trim it,and not rely on hopes of what night not happen. Lol

I am Rowdaddy.
SC Aquaria

75 Community
20H Community
20L Convict "Bedroom"
20L Growout
10gal RCS
1.5gal in progress
55 gal Paludarium/Vivarium coming soon
rowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdaddy View Post
With a melt like that. You should trim and replant the tops of your stems. You're typically not going to get growth out of those bottoms again. Every once in a while you will, but I think you're best to just trim it,and not rely on hopes of what night not happen.
I pulled out all the bare stem and trim off the tops and replanted them they are growing back fine some of those lower leaves are starting to get holy.

But its the new Red Ludwigia I put in to replace the dead stuff that is showing the stem root?

29gal
Old 04-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
rowdaddy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Stem failure

You may have a deficiency of some sort. But it's common for old leaves to age. Lol

I am Rowdaddy.
SC Aquaria

75 Community
20H Community
20L Convict "Bedroom"
20L Growout
10gal RCS
1.5gal in progress
rowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Lower leaves developing holes can be a potassium deficiency. Try doubling up for a week to see if it stops. Old leaves will not recover! My stems needed more magnesium, when I dose 3 tsp after each water change in my 200 gallon system they are healthier. I did that on a hunch after increasing flow and bumping CO2 did nothing good. My GH ought to be fine but a bit more was better. Increasing the hours the lights were on was another experiment that succeeded. Keep track of how much you are dosing and change one thing at a time to see what happens. It can happen quickly as you have already noticed.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdaddy View Post
With a melt like that. You should trim and replant the tops of your stems. You're typically not going to get growth out of those bottoms again. Every once in a while you will, but I think you're best to just trim it,and not rely on hopes of what night not happen. Lol

I am Rowdaddy.
SC Aquaria

75 Community
20H Community
20L Convict "Bedroom"
20L Growout
10gal RCS
1.5gal in progress

I get side shoots out the yingyang when I leave the bottom trimmed portions in the tank and replant the tops elsewhere. It is the way to get very thick busy stands of stems. Trim and let the side shoots grow, then trim the side shoots and you can double sometimes quadruple your stems in a very short time. There are some stems that do not like to be trimmed, but most LOVE to be trimmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Lower leaves developing holes can be a potassium deficiency. Try doubling up for a week to see if it stops. Old leaves will not recover! My stems needed more magnesium, when I dose 3 tsp after each water change in my 200 gallon system they are healthier. I did that on a hunch after increasing flow and bumping CO2 did nothing good. My GH ought to be fine but a bit more was better. Increasing the hours the lights were on was another experiment that succeeded. Keep track of how much you are dosing and change one thing at a time to see what happens. It can happen quickly as you have already noticed.
I am with you Kathyy
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ill try bumping up the potassium thanks

29gal
Old 04-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #9
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I'm dose heavy now for about two week and have started double doseing the Pot well I cannot believe how crazy the stuff has started to grow. I hope the bottom of the plants fill in a little more. Pics to come. Hopefully the leaves do better and stop dead and the stems thicken up.

29gal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.