The New Preuss Pets [Spring 2006]
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 02-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
Jdinh04
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (85/100%)
Default The New Preuss Pets [Spring 2006]

Well it looks like Preuss will be moving out of my area, but NOT too far! They are moving becuase they are planning to expand their nursuries to provide us better services and I totally agree with that they are doing. The old preuss was somewhat sort of crowded and it was packed everytime I go there.

Here are some photos of the construction of their new petstore;

http://www.preusspets.com/index.php?...d=53&Itemid=70

I can't wait to see the waterway that runs throughout the whole store, this is going to be awesome.
Jdinh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato

Nice heads up, John!

And I thought thier old store was large . . . .

I know where I'll be spending all of my lunch hours (work in downtown lansing)! This is a very dangerous move for me (I don't WANT to go back to work . . . . .)

Oh, and a 1/4 mile of piping!!! That's insane!

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
esarkipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
filipnoy85
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was going to a party at Temple Club in old town lansing at aroung 10PM and I parked my car in an old parking lot nearby that I noticed was adjacent to a building under construction. Inside there a group of people staring out looking all scary. Then I realized it was the Preuss's team working on the store! I yelled "I love Preuss's!" And they invited me in to take a look! Big place, I can't wait till its open!

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
filipnoy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
jstageman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Do you mid-Michiganders have an update on when the move might be going down? I saw that it had been pushed back from May to June; who has the inside dope on when everything is happening?

Filstar Pimp #64
jstageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
jmelnek
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Last I heard it was June 22nd.

MiAPG (Michigan Aquatic Plant Group) - Join today!
jmelnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #6
jstageman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Sweet! Thanks!

Filstar Pimp #64
jstageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:53 AM   #7
captured!byrobots
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Go to Golden Harvest!

I am from SF,CA,
and visited Preuss on this last tour I did.
It was so awesome.
I wish they moved here to San Francisco!
The tanks were taken care of so well.
You Lansing-ites have a real gem in that store.....

After you go to the new store,
go to Golden Harvest.
I love that place.
It's a breakfast diner right down the street, my friend owns it.
It's the best.
LOVE JBOT
captured!byrobots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #8
Jdinh04
Planted Tank Guru

I haven't been to their new store yet, is it all done and finished?
Old 07-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #9
therizman1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to therizman1 Send a message via MSN to therizman1

They are all moved to their new store and it is open, the Grand Opening will not be until September though. It looks like a lot of the tanks are empty, but thats only because they have about twice as many tanks as they used to. The new store is very nice and a lot easier to get around and everything is displayed a lot nicer. Very big improvement from their last store and well worth the drive for anyone thinking about it.
therizman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:27 AM   #10
tekknoschtev
Algae Grower

Thats their new planted selection
tekknoschtev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:12 AM   #11
tritan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknoschtev View Post

Thats their new planted selection

It doesn't look anything like this anymore.
I decide to rope the wife into a "color tour" to lansing and we ended up at the preuess pet store. All I have to say is wow for 2 reasons. One is for the selection of fish and plants and salt water selection is amazing its huge! But I must say how do they stay in business with the prices they have on hardware? Anyone with a computer better not be buying hardware from them outside of a small item for there tank around 10 bucks or less.
I went there looking to upgrade my lighting to a double coralife T-5 lamp fixture x 2. I wanted one marine light and one freshwater light and I had printed the add from Fish Supplies, Online Fish Supplies, Aquarium Products, Aquarium Accessories at Big Al's Online and brought it with me knowing if the price was a bit high maybe i could get them to price match.
A bit high ! How about twice the price high !! Ok, the lights I wanted ran 47.95each at Big Als so for 106.95 that includes shipping I can have them in 3 days to my house. They had one light for 89.95 !!! OUCH !! I could just about get two for the price of there one. I figured if the price was 15.00 more I would buy them so i could just get them up and running tonight and support a great store but I wasn't born yesterday and that price is down right screwing the consumers !! That is over double the mark up! I checked local stores around my house and they can order them for around 60.00 a light that is reasonable so you can't tell me that preuss can sell them for a better price.
After showing the gal the price sheet from Big Als and asking if they could get close to the price , I wasn't expecting to get the lights for 47.95 I can undertand they have to cover there shipping costs and sales tax so I was willing to pay for that for the convience of walking out with the lights.She stated I could talk to the gal that orders on Monday but telling her I live an hour away that was out of the question. I told her that is to bad that there isn't a store manager that i could talk to as I would have walked out with the lights if they could have dropped the price a bit. The store employee stated they must be going on clearance for that price at big als, I said no T-5' s are new to the market and coralifes site still show the T-5 fixture as new on the web site. "oh thats right we just got them in 6months ago she claimed".

I did get a few plants that I can't find by me , and one black angel that was pretty pricy for his size but hard to find.

I just don't understand how they got that big of a store with prices like that.

comments please

My 75 gallon thread.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...75-gallon.html
tritan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:44 AM   #12
PreussPets

Hi Tritan,

I'm sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience at our store. If you'd be so kind as to PM the details (which day this was, the employees you dealt with, etc.) of your visit it would be a great help to us to prevent future problems like this. There were two acting managers (myself and Sarah) on the floor today. Yesterday we were all, unfortunately, at the trade show in Chicago. Regardless, it is inexcusable that you weren't given more immediate satisfaction with respect to your concerns about the price.

With respect to our ability to stay in business, we have been around for more than 25 years with a continually growing customer base. We pride ourselves on offering the highest quality products and services and a price that is fair and commensurate with the value. From time to time, items end up with prices that are out-of-synch. This can be caused by simple human error, excessive discounting by online vendors, or our efforts lagging to find the best possible deal. I suspect these lights fall into the last category. I will check tomorrow morning, but I suspect we are paying more for them than Big Al's is selling them for. This tells me that we need to find a way to pay less in order to be more competitive. It is true that we have overhead costs that eclipse online vendors' by orders of magnitude, but it is also true that we should not expect you to pay double. Having brought this to our attention, we will certainly make an effort to find a better deal on these items so we can pass it along to our customers. We haven't survived this long nor grown this big by "screwing the consumers", but by using feedback like this a guide.

I can't guarantee the price of these lights will change (hopefully it will). It is more than shipping and sales tax that dictates price. The cost of a 23,000sq. ft. building on a prime street corner, electricity, water, insurance, dozens of emplyees, etc. must all be considered. Sometimes an item will simply cost much more than at an online vendor with minimal overhead costs. In most cases, however, we find a means of delivering the value for a price that is fair.

Sorry again for our failure to satisfy your needs on your trip to Lansing and we hope you'll visit us again to allow us to demonstrate the friendliness, quality, and value that Rick Preuss and his family have made the company famous for.

Feel free to call me at the shop with any concerns or further comments,

Kirby Adams
Preuss Pets
517-339-1762 ex. 3

Last edited by PreussPets; 10-08-2006 at 12:57 PM..
PreussPets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:37 AM   #13
Jdinh04
Planted Tank Guru

Yup, thats what I saw the other day when I went there. They will soon enough stock up with more plants, this is just the begining. And they are also trying different substrates, flourite, eco, and soilmaster.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:39 AM   #14
therizman1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to therizman1 Send a message via MSN to therizman1

The two tanks you cant see contain plants from one of their show tanks that they are yet to set back up again... though I wish theyd sell the one large crinum they have
Filstar Pimp #68
therizman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:55 PM   #15
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to esarkipato

Wow thanks for the sneak peek rizman, and the info. gotta make it to Lansing soon!

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
esarkipato is offline   Reply With Quote