CO2 and Powerheads
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-18-2002, 04:08 PM   #1
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

What is the best size Powerhead to be used with a CO2 reactor? Which one gives the best mix? Can it be TO powerful?
I'm thinking of buying one and don't want to get the wrong one. :hehe:
Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
ridns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 04:28 PM   #2
Anonymous
Planted Member

I set up a pressurized CO2 system about a year ago--used a small RIO (model 90) water pump in conjuntion with a reactor and it works really well....

Russ
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 04:43 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

The more water flowing through the chamber, the more CO2 absorption that you'll see. A 600 lph pump seems to be a popular choice though, and should provide plenty of flow for CO2 absorption.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:31 PM   #4
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

And I was worried about having to big of a powerhead! I don't remember ever seeing one that pumps that volume! I'll have to renew the search. :hehe:
Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

Old 11-18-2002, 08:43 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

A Rio600 is actually one of their smallest powerheads. It's 600 liters per hour, not gallons.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:23 PM   #6
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

I personally use the Rio 600 in my reactor in my 55 gallon tank.

if you would like information and a comparison of all the rio pumps click here.

Kyle
Old 11-19-2002, 12:19 AM   #7
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, thanks guys... That link you gave me helped, Fender. I'm using a small pond pump on the difusser in my 55gal tank. Thats delivering 300gal/hr and this (along with my Filstar XP3 seems to be working well) but I chose it because it was there. I didn't know if I was doing well here or not. My hex has an AquaClear filter hanging on it now along with my Fluval 404 on which I changed the discharge nozzle to cut down the turbulance. I plan to leave the Fluval 404 but remove the AquaClear and run a powerhead to power the difusser. Here again I want to minimize the turbulance but be sure to have enough to thoroughly mix the CO2 and water. I guess I should have explained better to begin with. :hehe:

Old 11-19-2002, 06:14 PM   #8
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ii've decided to go with a Pengwin 1140, 300gal/hr, mainly because the intake looks much safer for my fish. Secondly, the 300gal/hr seems to work well in my 55gal tank. Thanks again for the help guys. :hehe: