Jade_dragon71's 135 gallon** Disaster on 4/10/2013 **
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-28-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

PTrader: (55/100%)
Default Jade_dragon71's 135 gallon** Disaster on 4/10/2013 **

.......and also tama drummer 73's.

Tim and a friend of ours picked up the tank today. I'm in awe of how big it actually is! The sump tank came broken, so the builder is going to UPS us another since it was their fault. We have to wait 3 weeks on each tank before we add water to them, but plenty to do in the meantime. I'll let the DH explain all the technical details, since that's not my thing, but here's the tank, stand and canopy:
Attached Images

Last edited by jade_dragon71; 04-11-2013 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: Title change
jade_dragon71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2006, 04:05 AM   #2
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to tama_drummer_73 Send a message via Yahoo to tama_drummer_73

Here is our official site that has all of our journal info about the tank.

http://aquaria.tswn.com

Tim

www.tswn.com | aquaria.tswn.com | www.bf2online.com

Current webmasters for all......
tama_drummer_73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2006, 04:16 AM   #3
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to tama_drummer_73 Send a message via Yahoo to tama_drummer_73

Sump is in

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...c_id=8&forum=4

Tim

Old 02-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

It looks like it is comming along good! I can't wait to see it up and running, and like you can't! LOL I am a fellow woodworker, and your stand and hood look GREAT!!

Keep the pics posted!
Drew

Last edited by BoxxerBoyDrew; 03-23-2006 at 04:10 AM..
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 02:20 AM   #5
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew
It looks like it is comming along good! I can't wait to see it up and running, and like you can't! LOL I am a fellow woodorker, and your stand and hood look GREAT!!

Keep the pics posted!
Drew
Here are some more pics of the stand stained.

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...c_id=9&forum=4

The durso's are completed. The water level in the overflow is going to be around 1.5 inches below the display tank water level.

Tim

Old 02-05-2006, 03:22 AM   #6
Fishyfan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama_drummer_73
Here are some more pics of the stand stained.

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...c_id=9&forum=4

The durso's are completed. The water level in the overflow is going to be around 1.5 inches below the display tank water level.
wow dude, nice car

i like how the stain turned out on the stand
Fishyfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 12:01 AM   #7
uncskainch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to uncskainch Send a message via MSN to uncskainch Send a message via Yahoo to uncskainch

Great looking start! What plants and livestock do you have in mind?
29 g planted community tank, 2.48 WPG, DIY CO2, Greg Watson ferts -- Tank Journal Here! -- 5 gallon planted Marineland 5 gallon hex with 15w 6500k CF, Excel, 100% flourite substrate -- RCS & male dwarf puffer -- Tank Journal Here! -- 2.5 gallon planted MiniBow w/10w 6500 k CF, Excel -- mystery snail & RCS -- Tank Journal Here!
uncskainch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2006, 12:38 AM   #8
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncskainch
Great looking start! What plants and livestock do you have in mind?

Thanks! As far as plants go, I've been buying up as many fast growing stems as I can through swap and shop here. So far I have sunset hygro, red ludwigia, a couple of different bacopas, cabomba, moneywort, hornwort, macandra, and anacharis for bunches. Also have some jungle val and micro sword that I definitely want to get the tank started out with, too. My melon sword, aponogeton, crypts, and java fern may get transfered over, too, but I'm undecided as of yet on that. Oh, I definitely plan on getting some glosso when we get it up and running...I'm out of room in our 55 now!

At first I thought I'd just transfer all the current tank residents of the 55 gallon over to the 135- guppies, platies, cory cats, weather loach, 2 clown plecos, one common pleco, cherry and ghost shrimp. Now, I'm debating on putting the shrimp in the sump area and aquiring angels, rams, and a school of rasboras. The livebearers don't really "fit", do they? I just don't have the heart to give up my guppies since I like them so much, but Tim has me convinced that the larger tank needs some larger fish as well. The 55 will become a mbuna tank, so definitely can't put the poor gups in there, lol....

I don't know...maybe I'll keep the guppies to the sump area, and use the "excess" batches of fry to feed to the angels. Don't quite know what to do yet livestock wise....help!
jade_dragon71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Wow, I love seeing an empty blue tank full of potencial. Keep the pics coming!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Haha! Yeah, today was pretty much the day from hell. I had to break the tank down and fix a couple leaky connections. In the end, we got all of the connections leak proof, and now the biggest obsticle is the noisy pump. Damn, sounds like an air pump with no vibration protection. Anyone have any suggestions on quieting down a noisy pump? Ours is the little giant brand.

Tim

Old 03-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Default Under Tank Electrical Is Finished

Well the electrical is finished for the base. I am still debating on whether or not to add another box for the lights.

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...30#forumpost30

Tim

Last edited by tama_drummer_73; 03-17-2006 at 04:19 PM..
Old 03-22-2006, 03:32 AM   #12
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Default Blue Line 30X.... ONE QUIET PUMP!!!!

I have to say, this pump is one quiet pump. Powerful, quiet, and cheaper than the Little Giant that I purchased originally. Can't beat that. Anyway, here is a pic of the pump in action. Glad to have water circulating again!

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...31#forumpost31

Tim

Old 03-26-2006, 03:49 AM   #13
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Default First round of pics with plants!!

Well after 2 months of construction, the tank is now up and running. It is very sparse right now, but it will fill in quickly as soon as the C02 is up and running. We still are waiting on the CO2 tank to get here and to get filled. We haven't added the fish yet. That will be done soon enough......

Here are the pics.....

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...32#forumpost32

Tim

Old 03-29-2006, 06:44 AM   #14
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Wow, that looks great. I love the stain... Cherry? Red Oak? And its contrast with the off white sand. I could see a nice long and big/elegant piece of grapevine with lots of moss growing on it dead center. Great job of hiding the sump return overflows. I can barely tell they are there! Another thought on long range plants. I love both Crinum calemestratums and Crypt. balansae (green variety). Maybe in a corner where the long strap leaves of the balansae will flow with the currents. Marselia as a foreground plant.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 11:42 AM   #15
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Thanks!!

The stand is constructed out of red-oak. I used "Minwax Dark Walnut" stain on it. It was the closest color that I could find that matched our dining room table and chairs. I used the "Minwax Rub-on" varnish to add the protective gloss finish to it. Mel has worked real hard on planting this behemoth, and I know she isn't satisfied yet. Any suggestions are VERY much welcomed. I really dig the idea of the grapevine.

Where can you find grapevine that is prep'd for tank use? If you have it growing locally, what do you do to treat it so that it can be used in the tank?

The only problems we are having right now are ones dealing with evaporation. No lids on the sump yet. I suspect that having lids will curb the evaporation quite a bit. We really haven't had to many issues with the way that the "system" actually works. I am having a bit of trouble getting a durso, which is on the right side of the tank, to flow as fas as the one that is on the left. I read that its because of the long length of pipe that I am using. So needless to say, I am still playing with the airflow on it. Its not the fact that it doesn't flow, but I think that it just needs alot more tweaking.

I had to throttle back the output of the pump to get a flow that wouldn't "suck" the inhabitants into the overflows, because it will. All in all the tank has turned out just like what I had imagined. I had to change a few things while I was building the system, but for good reasons, not because the wouldn't fit, or whatnot. The only major change was the pump. Little giant makes NOISY pumps. The pumps are VERY powerful, but VERY LOUD. Blueline is the manufacturer that we ultimately went with, and for good reason. They make, in my oppinion, the best pumps out there. Powerful, and super quiet. Hell the water makes more noise than the pump does, and thats the way it should be.

Thanks for all of your comments, please keep them coming!

Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.