The Trio of Evolve 8s. *Pictures*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default The Trio of Evolve 8s. *Pictures*

I got the okay from my husband to use some of the tax money to set up a bada$$ nano. Buttt I can't decide between the Fluval Spec or Spec III or Spec V or some of the Aqueon Evolves. And petco is running a sale so I need to decide by this Thursday which one to get!

His only request is that it is neat and relatively self contained. And that it houses some "cool looking shrimp not just the plain ole red ones" Apparently he's bored with my PFRs haha

I would like to keep medium light plants and maybe at some point to make this high tech. I have not been able to find a definitive answer as to what the stock lights for any of the above tanks will be able to grow. I would like to keep this generally cost friendly and not have to invest money in other equipment, I understand that a lighting upgrade may have to happen though.

If I keep it budget friendly enough I might be able to pull off getting 2 tanks, as I have had to shut down my 10 gallon earlier this month and will have to shut down my 20H as soon as I get the nano.

So I need some serious help with what to buy!!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Barbgirl; 02-28-2013 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: Changed title
Barbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

So far on my list no matter which tank I get:

Dry ferts from nilcog (his premixed just add water ones)
Cholla wood from ???
IAL from H4n
PB regulator from aquatek (I already have the DIY setup but hate the inconsistency. Luckily it was free so no $ was dumped into that)

Can't decide on substrate. I have only used eco complete and sand in the past. But my pH sits around 7 so might look into something that will lower it. Although I know the tigers like the high pH and I am more interested in the tigers than CRS/CBS.

The CRS are little too intimidating for me

Last edited by Barbgirl; 02-24-2013 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: adding stuff
Barbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Congratulations! I can't speak of the Fluval tanks, but I did recently pick up an Evolve4. I really like it so far. Don't know if the stock light is sufficient enough yet, as my plants have only been in there since yesterday.

What kind of shrimp are you considering?
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
joey24dirt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Spec v would be my choice. I have one and it's super sleek.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you :]

So far tigers are looking pretty good, although rillis are pretty interesting. Mostly just something that is on the hardier side and I (my wallet) won't be devastated if I loose a few.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

SO looks like I got the okay for two! That way I can have one high tech and one designated to shrimp!! WooHOOO! (He feels bad that I have to shut down my 20H)

I like the idea of getting an Evolve 8 as the shrimp tank and either of the fluvals as a high tech.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

That's awesome!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Haha props to anyone who reads this thread! It's a dumping ground for the thought spewing from my brain at the moment.

SO:

Evolve 8- Moss, maybe some crypts, Cholla and Shrimp. Anyone know if the stock light will be able to maintain those plants?

High tech - not a clue other than PB setup and Dry ferts haha

I promise I will add photos!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay, so after lots of thinking and going back and forth and input from the husband it looks like I will be getting...........Two Evolve 8s! One will be set up immediately and one will have to wait a bit.

So any info that anyone has on these would be great!!

Mostly just curious if the stock LED will be enough to grow moss and other low light plants.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #10
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Honestly, I am in the same boat, at least as far as choosing. The Evolves are on sale at Petco and I am considering one. But I am also looking at the Ecoxotic EcoPico.

I feel like the light on the Evolves would not be enough, but according to the box they are LOL. I do not think there are any data on any of the typical nano tanks with lights.

I feel like the one on the Ecoxotic would be sufficient. Or if not, it is upgradable where you can add two more LED strips. But it is also significantly more expensive.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:31 AM   #11
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Congrats again!
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #12
Milhouse
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Have you looked at the Eheim Aquastyle? It's a little more but has a better light than the Aqueon and it's glass. It's also a solid 4g/6g/9g since there's no "sump" section. Personally I don't see the advantage of going with an acrylic tank of that size. More pain than it's worth. I could see the plant substrate scratching it up. Just my .02. I'd go with a fluval over the Aqueon unless you really need to hit a price point...and if that's an issue I'd save up more, lol.

On a side not the Ecoxotic is nice too, but it only comes in 5g.
Milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #13
MavDog
Algae Grower

Default Fluval Spec V

I'd recommend the Spec V. I've had it for about a month, and I'm overall very Impressed. How ever, there are some downsides. The light might not be strong enough for a planted tank, and the screw that attaches the light is flimsy, and if you strip it, your light will sag. Also, the top is plastic, and not glass, and I keep managing to step on it when I take it off to clean. But. The filter is very strong, and the back compartment is great for hiding a heater or CO2 injection nozzle. It also looks fantastic and is perfectly dimensioned. If you look around on the site, a few guys have them and have done some SERIOUSLY sweet stuff with them. PM me if you plan to have a betta in it, and I can let you know how to tone down the filter a little (it cycles a LOT of water).
Old 02-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

I know I am definitely getting an Evolve 8 for my moss and shrimp tank. I like having 8 gallons to work with vs anything smaller just for water quality purposes. It's still small enough to be just barely a nano but large enough to keep it more stable. I am leaning more towards a second one for my high tech as well. But am still slightly considering the Spec V.

The acrylic doesn't really bother me. Not going for the high priced looked haha. More function over form here. I also like the dimensions of the Evolve, not sure I like that the Spec V is only 6in wide. As for the sump section, it is a must have so as much as I like the Eheims they are a no go.

I know that no matter tanks I get lighting upgrades are a must. But I am thinking that if I get two Evolve 8s that I can take the light from both and put them both on a single tank. Which is hopefully more than enough to grow the moss and crypts I want. Meaning I would only have to upgrade one light versus both.

For the lighting upgrade I am looking at Fugeray as I really like the LEDs versus the bulbs
Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

And it looks like I will be getting yellow neos for the shrimp tank and maybe someday adding OEBT (blue ones not the black ones). Which means I will be using sand or eco complete, both of which I have already.

My tap water is something like:

pH 6.8 - 7.2
gH 2 (which I will need to raise)
kH 3

and I don't have a TDS meter so no clue about that one. And with neos I'm not too worries haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.