Trying to figure out this scape.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-24-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Fuze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Default Trying to figure out this scape.

Hi, I started a tank journal, but it hasn't seen much action, and I could use some brains to bounce some ideas off.

Here is my most recent scape:

It is a sort of stone vs foliage theme right now, but I can tell it just isn't right. I like both elements, but it seems I need to have one subservient to the other.

I do plan on planting HC on the mountain and extending the foreground plants to the left. I think it would looks much better then, but I don't know if it would be too busy or not.

The tank is a standard 55.

Can anybody give me some suggestions? Any critique would be helpful.
Fuze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like your scape it just looks plain on the left side. I think if you put something on the left side with the rocks. I think it would look good like you said by extending the HC up to the rocks.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
chou
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

hc climbing through the rocks would look nice
chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Waters
Algae Grower

I would continue what you have done on the right side all the way across the tanks and remove (or greatly reduce) the rocks on the left.
Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waters View Post
I would continue what you have done on the right side all the way across the tanks and remove (or greatly reduce) the rocks on the left.
I totally agree. The 'pile of rocks' detracts from the right side of the tank which looks lovely. I think even if you have plants on it it would be better much lower.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

That's a great piece of wood! I like the look....and would keep what you have. The HC is a good idea. Why not add some tall stems behind the rocks? I'm thinking something with medium sized leaves like a hygro augustifolia. They would sort of bend over the mound when they get taller.
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Fuze
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you for the suggestions. I have planted rotala rotundifolia in the back, waiting for it to perk up and see how it looks.

Appreciating all the comments, still thinking.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I really love the right side of the tank, looks very natural and enchanting. One of my favorites, but it looks like both of the scapes should be in 2 different tanks, like the left rock structure would be a perfect base for a iwagumi setup, just fill in he empty gravel spots with hc or glosso and add life to the scale with shrimps. IDK that's what I would do, but if transferring a whole scape is too hard, just do what the other people have said above me.
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Farmer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3raven View Post
I really love the right side of the tank, looks very natural and enchanting. One of my favorites, but it looks like both of the scapes should be in 2 different tanks, like the left rock structure would be a perfect base for a iwagumi setup, just fill in he empty gravel spots with hc or glosso and add life to the scale with shrimps.
I agree.

Quote:
IDK that's what I would do, but if transferring a whole scape is too hard, just do what the other people have said above me.
I think if you want to be happy with your tank and you see that it's not right now (which you indicated and I agree) then you need to bite the bullet and reduce that left side. If you don't I don't think you'll be happy with it. But it won't be easy seeing you have fish in there already depending on what the substrate is. Can you remove them for a time? perhaps to another tank.

Linds
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Farmer
Planted Member

Ok, I did some fiddling around and digitally reduced that left side. I also took one of the rocks and put it under the wood on the right. I did that because that is an ideal spot for a focal point. Your other major focal point (IMO, I'm not an expert) is the empty space created. I think reducing the rocks does wonders especially with the plants grown in on the left. So here it is...

Click image for larger version

Name:	223.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	95026

I appreciate what you were trying to do with the rock vs plant thing, but personally I don't think it worked.

I absolutely love the right side of your tank and I think with some rearranging you can have a most incredible tank.

Is the piece of wood on the far left separate from the other? If it is maybe you could try moving it. I'm not sure where and with the plants on the left maybe it can stay. But when I had just a blank space (see below) it looked out of place as it seems to with the rocks there. Maybe it is just the angle, instead of it sloping to the right at the top it could slope to the left, ie rest on the bottom toe the right of the plants I added and slope toward the corner of the tank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	95034

Anyway, that's my take on it.

Linds
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Fuze
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, I think what I am having trouble with is that The scape is jumping scales from left to right.

It is a tough one though, I like both elements.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
shloken38
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I see what you are saying, but I don't think you have to scrap that idea. If you get some green on that mound and some tall plants behind and to the left, I think it will change the perception totally. Some low growing plants up front will help as well....at least I think it will. It would be awesome if you could get some nana pettites growing on that mound too. Not totally cover, just a few spots. Just a suggestion.....
2.5 Gallon - Pea Puffer
5.5 Gallon - RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Ember Tetras, Sparkling Gouramis, Bumble Bee Gobies
10 Gallon - Pure Black Bar Endlers
29 Gallon - Planted Community - Cherry Barbs, Neon Tetras, Various Cory Cats, Albino Bristlenose Pleco
shloken38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #13
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I like the stone vs wood idea! But that mountain is too small and looks like it'll get eaten by the wood. I would add more stones and fill the left side up. Also, I think it'll look better if you spread out that riccia on the wood or get some moss on there.

Keep working on it. I'm still not totally happy with my tank and always want to change it around or add more stones.

I would also suggest you add your journal to your signature. That way members will know you have one and won't have to search for it.

Good luck!
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #14
Fuze
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yep, originally, I wanted the branch in the back to wrap around the stones, but they didn't reach high enough. Looks like I will be getting some eggcrate soon...
Fuze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 AM   #15
Sluggo
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Put some more HC across the front. Then, maybe plant a wall of corkscrew vals across the back. I'd try putting one more rock right in the middle, to smooth out that valley a little.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote