Fluval Spec 5 as a shrimp tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
Chris333
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Default Fluval Spec 5 as a shrimp tank

I just bought one of these and would like to set it up for red cherry shrimp and some moss.

Are there any mods I should make to the stock tank for keeping shrimp? Anything at all?

Thanks
Chris
Old: 55g planted, Soilmaster select charcoal, community tank. Pressurized CO2 w/ in-line reactor. Magnum 350 pump.
Chris333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
bostoneric
Happy Happy Happy

PTrader: (31/100%)

make sure you cover the intake openings with a sponge to keep the shrimp out, you will also want to close the valve on the pump a lot. even though the pump is little it still will throw the shrimp all around unless you close the valve a bunch.

Here is what i did with my Spec V.

small bag of seachem matrix at the bottom under the little shelf part, then on the shelf a piece of sponge just big enough to cover the little opening at the bottom of the filter chamber, then another back of matrix all the way up to just under the intake slits at the top, then another sponge to cover the openings.
there are a couple small heaters you can find that will fit in the 2nd space where the return pump is.

The LED lighting is actually really good, i've had great success growing all kinds of moss, fissidens, and dhg.
bostoneric is offline   Reply With Quote