Selective breeding
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
DrakeScree
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Selective breeding

Has anyone tried breeding for size instead of for color? A double sized shrimp is more interesting to me than a nicely colored one.
DrakeScree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (25/100%)

A guy named tadege who sells RCS mentioned in an old articleof his that he selectively bred RCS to about 2 inches long. He is active on aquabid and has a website, you could try contacting him.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

Yeah, however I don't think he really does. What he alludes to is that he pulls any shrimp in his pond/bins that he sees as 2" or so and sells them for more. Effectively he culls them by selling them off.

I've often thought that breeding for shrimp size would be awesome, however you'd have to decide at what age you'd want to make that decision. And then are some faster growers than others, or is it water quality, temp or genetics that has caused them to grow more?

I have found that just by moving shrimp from one tank to another a couple times can grow big shrimp, but their counterparts in the same tank that are never moved grow smaller. Does this have to do with growth hormones in the populated water that inhibit growth as opposed to "fresh" water that has none to stop them from growing larger?

Then, how does one measure them? Caliper? How to get them to stretch out and not move while measuring...

Lots of questions and too many variables for me to undertake, however good luck to ya if you can do it, my friend.

Last edited by Soothing Shrimp; 02-18-2013 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: spelling
Soothing Shrimp is online now   Reply With Quote