Reccomend a dog for my family
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru
 
SlammedDC2's Avatar
 
PTrader: (26/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 1,560
Default Reccomend a dog for my family

I have always had labs in my family, as a child growing up and now as an adult. As much as I like labs I would like something a little calmer. I have noticed that labs don't seem to loose that puppy hyperactivity till they die. I do like a dog that I can play with but I would also like for that dog to take cues from me and the family, such as we sit down to watch something he sits down and relaxes too.
We are a younger family, I am 30, my wife is 28 and 3 kids, 7y/o boy and 2/4 y/o girls.
I do want a large dog (minimum 60-70lbs). I know some dogs that I would like but not sure how hard they would be to find for the right price or if they would fit in with our family. The dog will be an indoor dog along with one very easy to get along with cat (she likes to play with dogs).
I like Irish wolfhounds, American bulldogs just to name a few.
So what do you guys think?
__________________
Semper Fi
SlammedDC2 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (141/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 9,562
Default

How about a shelter dog?
hydrophyte is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru
 
ChadRamsey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (56/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canton, Ga
Posts: 1,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
How about a shelter dog?

no doubt the BEST option. I just rescued 2 myself over the last 2 weeks
__________________


There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
no doubt the BEST option. I just rescued 2 myself over the last 2 weeks
For an experience owner, I'd tell you to go straight to the pound yourself. That is were bulk of the shelter dogs come from. Most pound sell dogs for $35 to $50.

Buying a shelter dog will cost $200 to $400. Some shelters are noble some are flat out scammers. Do your research before you buy a dog.
DogFish is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru
 
Dempsey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (109/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Clifton Heights, PA
Posts: 1,846
Default

I think an American Bulldog would be a great choice. I just had to put my boy down about a year ago... He was 11. He got cancer and it got the better of him... Great dogs! If you want to sit in the house and sleep all day on a Sunday, they will be happy to do the same. If you want to hike in the woods all day, they will be happy to do the same.

The same goes for my Pittbull. Biggest sweet heart in the world. Great with dogs, kids and anyone.

My bully was around 140lbs and my Pit is about 50lbs.

Don't get me wrong, they both need exercise! Esp, in the beginning while you are training them. They really do just adapt to your schedule.

Just remember though, they do need exersize.... Do you have a yard? Walks are also very important. Kids are a plus, so that will give the pup lots of exercise too.
__________________
Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Dempsey is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
UDGags
aka Nick
 
UDGags's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 890
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
Default

Corgi's
__________________
UDGags is online now  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
VivaDaWolf's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 844
Default

corgis and pits are energetic breeds

Large couch potato? Try the standard greyhound Theres tons of retired racers needing homes, theyre about 80lb I think and while they are sprinters, theyre totally happy to be lazy otherwise. The cat thing can be an issue due to their prey drive but I know they test them and some are safe with cats
VivaDaWolf is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ashnic05's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 497
Default

Great Danes have always been a favorite of mine. Mastiffs also but they're more like miniature horses. Both need a larger yard or lots of walks. Great Danes love to play, are usually good with cats (depend on their personality) and not so hyper like labs or huskies. My friend's parents got one and shes a big couch potato, but loves to play outside as well. Pretty much likes to be wherever they are. You're best bet is going to be finding one (hopefully try a shelter first) and see if they are a match for your family (this is said for any breed you get). That being said, most of the best dogs I've ever had have been mutts from the pound.
__________________
“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
brainwavepc.com
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
brainwavepc.com's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton Oregon
Posts: 499
Default

Rottweilers are gret family dogs, we have a boxer/rot rescue and he's great.
brainwavepc.com is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru
 
SlammedDC2's Avatar
 
PTrader: (26/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 1,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
How about a shelter dog?
Although I am not opposed to a shelter dog I was looking more for breed info that would fit with us, however there is no shelter where I live. I was shut down almost a year ago after the county cut their funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
I think an American Bulldog would be a great choice. I just had to put my boy down about a year ago... He was 11. He got cancer and it got the better of him... Great dogs! If you want to sit in the house and sleep all day on a Sunday, they will be happy to do the same. If you want to hike in the woods all day, they will be happy to do the same.

The same goes for my Pittbull. Biggest sweet heart in the world. Great with dogs, kids and anyone.

My bully was around 140lbs and my Pit is about 50lbs.

Don't get me wrong, they both need exercise! Esp, in the beginning while you are training them. They really do just adapt to your schedule.

Just remember though, they do need exersize.... Do you have a yard? Walks are also very important. Kids are a plus, so that will give the pup lots of exercise too.
I'm okay with exercising them and walking them and yes I do have a fenced yard as well. I'm really leaning towards a bully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDGags View Post
Corgi's
To small and not really my kind of dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
corgis and pits are energetic breeds

Large couch potato? Try the standard greyhound Theres tons of retired racers needing homes, theyre about 80lb I think and while they are sprinters, theyre totally happy to be lazy otherwise. The cat thing can be an issue due to their prey drive but I know they test them and some are safe with cats
Not real big on the greyhound either, when I say bigger and mean beefier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnic05 View Post
Great Danes have always been a favorite of mine. Mastiffs also but they're more like miniature horses. Both need a larger yard or lots of walks. Great Danes love to play, are usually good with cats (depend on their personality) and not so hyper like labs or huskies. My friend's parents got one and shes a big couch potato, but loves to play outside as well. Pretty much likes to be wherever they are. You're best bet is going to be finding one (hopefully try a shelter first) and see if they are a match for your family (this is said for any breed you get). That being said, most of the best dogs I've ever had have been mutts from the pound.
A great dane or mastiff would be cool but I don't think my wife would okay us having a horse. Our old neighbor had an English mastiff and it scared the hell out of her every time she saw it.
I agree, my favorite dog came from a shelter when I was kid, had her 16 years till we had to put her down, saddest day of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwavepc.com View Post
Rottweilers are gret family dogs, we have a boxer/rot rescue and he's great.
Rottweiler wouldn't be bad but I'll have to see if I can get the wife on board. How are they hyperactivity as an adult? I understand puppy's are full of energy but once a dog hits 2-3 I kind of expect them to chill out a little bit.
__________________
Semper Fi
SlammedDC2 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (141/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 9,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
Although I am not opposed to a shelter dog I was looking more for breed info that would fit with us, however there is no shelter where I live. I was shut down almost a year ago after the county cut their funding.
We volunteer with a rescue organization (Catahoula Rescue Illinois) and we have fostered five dogs and transported many more. Getting a dog via a rescue organization is a great choice because you can find out about the individual dog's behavioral details. Many rescue organization dogs stay with foster families for several weeks and this permits close observation of compatibility, energy level and temperament.

You can search for rescue dogs using a number of criteria on petfinder.com Many rescue organizations also maintain Facebook pages.

It sounds like a Catahoula would not be the right choice for you, but there are rescue groups for all kinds of breeds and mixes. Our most recent foster was a Catahoula/bassett mix and she was really sweet and mellow, but with a penetrating baying bark that would be sure to scare unwelcomes away.

Remember that no matter the energy level any kind of dog should get some time outside along with social and mental stimulation every day.
hydrophyte is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,988
Default

This is Ch. Tasso's 'Cool Hand Luke' CA my Travis



He's my 3rd Catahoula in since 1992. I love the breed, and I pretty much can not /will not recommend them to anyone that does not ranch, farm, boar hunt or isn't 100% into working/training a dog. This is the only bred that will embarrass a Border collie in energy/stamina/intelligence and STUBBORNESS, not to mention OCD.

Kudos to Catahoula Rescue Illinois efforts. I believe I meet the women that started that group at an event @ Arlington park maybe 8 yrs ago? I trust they are still very careful you they sell their dogs to.

I've meet some other shelters that haul Catahoulas from down south up to the Chicagoland area and I think that is just plan wrong. I was asked by a group here about what they should do with a Catahoula they have. My best advise was to trade with a shelter in Texas for two poodles.
DogFish is offline  
Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (430/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,445
Default

Montgomery County Animal Control & Adoption Service is still there adopting animals.

The Humane Society of Clarksville-Montgomery County is an option, as well.

PetFinder is a great place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
Although I am not opposed to a shelter dog I was looking more for breed info that would fit with us, however there is no shelter where I live. I was shut down almost a year ago after the county cut their funding.
somewhatshocked is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,988
Default

My perspective comes from showing & competing with dogs for 40+ years and working as a private trainer.

Purebred from a responsible breeder is like buying a new car, very high probability of getting what you want. Not perfect but the odds are more in your favor.

Shelters the "used car lot" of the dog world. I won't arguel the huggy-feely PC correct emotional goodies that come from the "rescue-experience". If your willing to become a dog-mechanic to fix what comes broke, with your "as-is" purchase this may work for you. Mutts can be wonderful dogs or total time bombs.

Niether is better, it's a matter of what is better for you.

I do think one should make a list of priorities.

Size
Male/female
Coat short v. Long
***TRAINNING***
Indoor/Outdoor
Maint. cost i.e. food, grooming, vet care.
Exercise requirements

To me the most important factor is training, not all people want to put the effort in, some breeds are more responsive to training. The Field dogs & Herding dogs were developed to work closet with man. They tend to be the most responsive to training hence easier...HOWEVER smart dogs need to be challenged

Hounds & Mastiff breeds were developed to work more independently. They are not as responsive to training.

Next I feel is exercise, if you don't like to get off the couch don't buy a high energy/high drive dog. It's just that simple.
DogFish is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,988
Default

I forgot on my last post , review your home owners insurance. Only 4 companies will insure Rottweilers. Most have a list of breed they will not insure. At one point I had 3 of the 10 on those lists.

Last edited by DogFish; 02-17-2013 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: sp
DogFish is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012