Walstad 3 gallon Jar Photos to come
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Michigan

Old 02-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Walstad 3 gallon Jar Photos to come

I'm in the planning stages of starting a dirted 3G jar from work.

I'm thinking of putting in Rotala and Hornwort for starting plants, with Filter mulm for nutrients.

Basic layout, Few stems of each plant, Hornwort floating, Rotala Planted
into about 1 1/2-2 1/2 inches of Plain old soil, As in I would literally be using a shovel to grab stuff outside, and capping it with a thin layer of some extra pool filter sand I've got, maybe 3/4's of an inch to a full inch sand cap.

I've been toying with the idea of using Ghost shrimp in it, since it would be my First attempt at both the Walstad method, and a dirted, plant oriented tank.

Oh and lighting will be window sill, with maybe 3-4 hours a day of low par CFL 13W.

Wish me Luck.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Good luck with that! I'd love to have something like that at work. Can't wait to see
pic's
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
eodmike
Algae Grower

Sounds like a plan. I'm excited to see pictures. I'm currently thinking about doing a tank at work.
eodmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Stella Blue
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Good luck!!

I'd love to see some photos of this project!!

Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
eodmike
Algae Grower

I will defintly be posting pictures. I plan on doing a rack using table bussing totes. Each tote would have a species of shrimp or fish and deli cups with plants to grow out in. But 1 species of plant and animal per tote.

Then in a year we plan on buying a house I will be able to add more racks.

I want to focus on things like Celestial Pear Danios, Gertrude Rainbowfish, RCS, Neocardian color var., and Rareish plants.
eodmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 AM   #6
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Minor update.

Well I got the first 3 gallon Jar today, and I think the next thaw I'll grab some dirt for it, and it will be run in comparison.

3 jars, with 3 different substrate options to check out, Standard yard dirt, Miracle grow, and a half and half mixture.

This will take time, but yeah I'm really hoping I can get this to work.

Also, I'll be setting pictures up as soon as I can clear all 3 bottles and fill them.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
CharleeFoxtrot
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nice project ideas!
CharleeFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
sapphoqueen
Planted Tank Obsessed

pics pics pics .....now! :P or never
Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default as for pics

Right now, I only have one jar, and it's empty.

I'll post up pics of all 3 jars when they're ready to start.

I think I'll make them into full project bowls, seeing what is possible with them and such.

I'll probably use this thread as a journal of sorts, that is once I actually get to start them.

Sadly it will probably take about a week to get the other 2 jars, then just waiting for the thaw.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #10
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, So I've come to the decision that Financially it's not prudent to start a new setup, let alone 3.

So I think that in the not too distant future I'll probably start buying individual components for the setup.

Till then, I'm thinking that I'll try and visualize happy, healthy plants, and shrimp for these jars.

Early Mental image, 2-3 Rotala Rotundifolia stems, 1 or 2 Cryptocoryne Parva and some loose stems of Hornwort. Thinking rotala in the middle, crypts around it and hornwort on top.

Maybe some air stones for agitation and slight water movement.

10 or so Ghosties per jar.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

As of tomorrow or tonight I will have all 3 jars required for this experiment.

I will start playing around with placement of any equipment, and all possible flora and fauna.

Should get pictures of this up by this time next week.

Considering putting them on the porch enclosure when the weather warms.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 03-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Project is back on indefinite hold, Lace rock experiment is taking up 2 jars, and HRP fry is in the third for the moment.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 AM   #13
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok so this entire thread is being reset.

I've got about 8 of the Jars from my place of employment, They're closer to 1.5 gallons not 3 like I'd imagined.

I've been playing with ideas for them and such Think I've settled on doing various types of plants in them with maybe some snails and Ghost shrimp.

Really considering making some micro sponge filters to go in them as well, and using ceramic bio media to help in breakdown of biological detritus.

Let me know any thoughts or opinions here, Open to suggestions for these jars.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~
Old 04-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #14
Duckmasta
Algae Grower

ive thought about doing a betta tank with something unusual, like one of the the giant sams club bear shaped animal cracker jugs =P so something like this will be interesting to see. cant wait to see it progress!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

Setup 2 jars last night, with the 1 I've constantly had running and another planned for tomorrow. All of them have different substrates, levels, plants.

And that's not even counting the 2 with just duckweed haha.

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow, I have to start getting better about Photologging my attempts.

~George Orwell~

~Charles Darwin~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.