Need Several Plant IDs (56k warning)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #1
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

My wife and I went out and gathered a few plants for my new aquarium from local ponds and lakes this weekend. I know what a couple are but need some help on the others, plus some confirmation on what the others are. Please forgive the poor shots, I have yet to learn many tips on "aquatography" and for some reason my camera kept focusing on the glass. Probably the algae.

Some form of Eleocharis hairgrass. Not so sure I like this one too much.

Not a very good pic, but I'm thinking it might be some sort of Bacopa. It is growing like gangbusters and I'm probably going to have to move it to a different area of the tank. The tallest stalk was maybe 3 inches when I got it on Saturday and it is 8 or 9 now.

Pennywort? I just noticed this morning that it is pushing up a new leaf. It's so cute

This is an interesting one. It looks like a sword of some sort. Closest match I can find is Echinodorus cordifolius "Ovalis". I found it growing emersed and I'm hoping that the leaves that it will convert to submerged.

No idea on this one. Another one I found emersed. It is starting to flower like crazy. Another sword species?

This one I found on the shore but it looked an aweful lot like Hygrophilia so I thought I would give it a try.

Another shot from above.
DLeDeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Impressive findings! You're making me want to go out wading in some of our local ponds and streams. What do you look for as far as location? Shallow, wooded areas?
Old 09-17-2003, 06:04 PM   #3
slyargent
Algae Grower

Hahahah...I was thiking of doing the same thing! I'm really short on cash and can't afford to fill in my 75 gallon!

The last pic looks like a gymnocoronis...

The first one is some sort of eleocharis, I don't know what specific species though.
slyargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 06:17 PM   #4
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

Most of the stuff I found was growing in very shallow 6" water. Some were completely submerged others were emersed. I had the best luck where water movement was minimal. I looked for areas that were well lit with lots of sunlight.

One of the next things I'd like to do is maybe some skin diving and see if there are any interesting specimins that grow further out in deeper water.
DLeDeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 12:20 AM   #5
ddaquaria
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to ddaquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeDeaux
Some form of Eleocharis hairgrass. Not so sure I like this one too much.
It looks like japanesse rush. I think it is a Eleocharis sp.

Quote:
Not a very good pic, but I'm thinking it might be some sort of Bacopa. It is growing like gangbusters and I'm probably going to have to move it to a different area of the tank. The tallest stalk was maybe 3 inches when I got it on Saturday and it is 8 or 9 now.
I think that is a ludwigia sp.

Quote:
Pennywort? I just noticed this morning that it is pushing up a new leaf. It's so cute
yep, or some other hydrocotyle sp.

Quote:
This is an interesting one. It looks like a sword of some sort. Closest match I can find is Echinodorus cordifolius "Ovalis". I found it growing emersed and I'm hoping that the leaves that it will convert to submerged.
On the money, definitely Echino cordifolius. These get large over time.

Quote:
No idea on this one. Another one I found emersed. It is starting to flower like crazy. Another sword species?
Sagittaria form. I have seen this plant a lot in pond stores.

Quote:
This one I found on the shore but it looked an aweful lot like Hygrophilia so I thought I would give it a try.
I think that one is bacopa - bacopa caroliniana (AKA giant bacopa)
ddaquaria is offline   Reply With Quote