dosing a 72 bow tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Default dosing a 72 bow tank

hello all

Im recieving the following dry ferts tomorrow:

kno3
k2so4,
kh2po4,
CSM+B
10% iron cause my PH is 6.6
GH booster.

Giving that im off thursday and fridays, fridays is my sunday :

friday = 50% water changes, GH booster 1/2 Tsp
Saturday = 3/4 Tsp-KN03,3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 , 1/4 Tsp k2so4
sunday = 3/16Tsp-Trace, 1/4 Tsp Iron
monday = 3/4 Tsp-KN03,3/16 Tsp-KH2P04, 1/4 Tsp k2so4,
tuesday = 3/16Tsp-Trace 1/4 Tsp Iron
wednesday=3/4 Tsp-KN03,3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 1/4 Tsp k2so4
thursday= 3/16Tsp-Trace, 1/4 Iron Tsp

Is this correct?
owens81jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (108/100%)

Yeah, that looks fine. Here is the only thing that I would change but you don't have to.

friday = 50% water changes, GH booster 1/2 Tsp, 3/4 Tsp-KN03,3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 , 1/4 Tsp k2so4, 3/16Tsp-Trace, 1/4 Tsp Iron

Saturday = Nothing

sunday = 3/4 Tsp-KN03,3/16 Tsp-KH2P04, 1/4 Tsp k2so4

monday = 3/16Tsp-Trace 1/4 Tsp Iron

tuesday = 3/4 Tsp-KN03,3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 1/4 Tsp k2so4

wednesday=3/16Tsp-Trace, 1/4 Iron Tsp

thursday= 3/4 Tsp-KN03,3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 1/4 Tsp k2so4

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Dempsey... Its intresting that you are giving the plants a resting period the day after a water change, would you explain this ?
Wouldnt it be better to give the plants a resting period the day before a water change so that any excess nutrients in the water can be took in from the plants and then taken out by the water change?

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Actually, I really wasn't giving them a "resting period". I just always thought it was silly to either not dose after a water change or just dose one, micro or macro.

The only reason I do it that way really, is so that at no point there is a "shortage" of nutrients.

On a side note, sometimes the day before a water change I dose a little extra for no other reason than "just in case". If they don't need it and I am adding too much, no biggy since I am doing a water change the following day. 80%.

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
On a side note, sometimes the day before a water change I dose a little extra for no other reason than "just in case". If they don't need it and I am adding too much, no biggy since I am doing a water change the following day. 80%.
That makes sense.
I just thought by dosing both Micro & Macro on the same day is a waste since iron and phosphate form ferric phosphate which is unsoluble when they are dosed too close together ? Im still new at dry ferts also so dont shoot me ;-)

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
That makes sense.
I just thought by dosing both Micro & Macro on the same day is a waste since iron and phosphate form ferric phosphate which is unsoluble when they are dosed too close together ? Im still new at dry ferts also so dont shoot me ;-)
Iron and phosphate will form iron phosphate, but this really only occurs to any large extent in concentrated solutions.

Given that we are dosing small amounts of fertilizer and they are diluted rather quickly in the aquarium, the chances of iron phosphate forming are lower (still possible, however).

I think the one day where the macro and micronutrients are doubled up is fine.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

Correct, and not to hijack but Congrats, Anthony!

To be safe, I dose them about 5mins apart after the WC. Some folks don't even do that, they just dose on either sides of the tank.

This is really more of a concern if you are making dosing liquids. Then of course, you wouldn't want to mix them together.

I will say this; I dose lots of Fe and I did once turn my tank water into milk. That was my fault though, I dumped them in the tank after a WC with no pumps or filters running and to top it off, I dumped them right ontop of eachother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Iron and phosphate will form iron phosphate, but this really only occurs to any large extent in concentrated solutions.

Given that we are dosing small amounts of fertilizer and they are diluted rather quickly in the aquarium, the chances of iron phosphate forming are lower (still possible, however).

I think the one day where the macro and micronutrients are doubled up is fine.

75G High Tech