What's the best temperature?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Rene02
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default What's the best temperature?

What would be the ideal temperature to keep red cherry shrimp at, for the prime growth rate and reproduction?
Rene02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

low 70's
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
low 70's
Aren't they supposed to breed more rapidly in the warmer months and slow down in the winter?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

75-78 for rapid reproduction, but they die earlier though.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

most dwarf shrimp like cooler temps. i think the breeding is linked to light. my crs started breeding well im mid december when i had the light on longer during the day. tank didnt get any warmer but more light/longer hours and they picked back up. but about the only shrimp that like warm temps are Sulawesi shrimp and they tend to like low to mid 80's i belive
Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Shrimp like tigers, bee shrimp (CBS, CRS, Goldens) DO tend to like lower temps...not necessarily true with neos. Low temps won't hurt them but it's not what they 'prefer' from what I've experienced with a few of my tanks. Best activity and breeding I had was between 75-78. Obviously, others may have different experiences.

The higher the temps typically the faster the growth, which will shorten the lifespan a tad. The lower the temp the slower the growth generally. That's been MY experiences and also jives with information I've read from other breeders. Others have noted no growth difference with lower temps but I have, and profound differences at that.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

thats good to know raven, i might have to try bumping up my rili tank to see what happens
Old 02-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

My 250 gallon outdoor pfr pond must be really unhappy now, haha, it's probably 48 degrees in there.

But I keep all of my shrimp at room temperature, so in my house that's between 68 and 73 and they love it. I don't use heaters because they take a lot of electricity and shrimp do fine in any range my house stays in, even when the temp drops to 60 when we are out of town.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
My 250 gallon outdoor pfr pond must be really unhappy now, haha, it's probably 48 degrees in there.

But I keep all of my shrimp at room temperature, so in my house that's between 68 and 73 and they love it. I don't use heaters because they take a lot of electricity and shrimp do fine in any range my house stays in, even when the temp drops to 60 when we are out of town.

I've got an outdoor tank too with them. Breeding flat out stops below 65 in that tank. I don't use heaters in any of my tanks either. But when I did, I had far better breeding out of my neos. I stopped using them because of the power drain too and the fact it was just one more thing to go wrong in the tanks.

And again, I tried to be real clear other folks would have different experiences. I can only comment on experiences I've personally had. Not spouting anything out as the gospel
Old 02-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #10
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Yeah breeding stops outside in the beginning of October.

They don't start again until may, but even then it's not over 65 degrees, more like 60.

I'm really excited because I think this year they'll breed like nuts, last year I had some issues with the pump I was using, but I've moved to something different.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, I don't even have a pump in my outdoor tank. No pump, no heater, no filter They were thrown to the wolves so to speak. Heehee. I'm excited for spring myself...I've got all sorts of mosses out their doing AMAZINGLY well for a cold tank that doesn't get fed or fertilized and has a solid lid on it that cuts down on light An experiment of mine so to speak.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #12
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

i dont have heaters in my tanks..... well ok i have 2 heaters in my house but they are in an angel tank and one with guppies and bristlenose. all my other tanks (shirmp and guppies) stay between 70-72 cause the room they are in is small and thats what i keep the house at any way. might be time to play with temps lol. cause i know the light cycle affects the crs ive been playing with that a bit in 2 different tanks lol
Old 02-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #13
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

I've tried may different temps. Room temp no heater 65-70. With heater 74-75. With heater 76-77. I've personally settled on 74ish. This way there is no Winter and my shrimps pretty much breeds year round. The breeding still picks up in the warmer months though when the room temp will exceed the set 74 and go up to 76-78.

I figure even if it shortens their life by a little if I get two more clutches of babies out of one female then I'm ahead of the game.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #14
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

I heat all my tanks lowest one will get is 67. I also have fans on all my tanks so when summer spring hits they stay cool.
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.