Opinions for planting this tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
jajabinx89
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Opinions for planting this tank

Hey all, trying to decide on a plan of planting for this tank (sorry for the terrible picture quality). It's a marineland eclipse 3, only using stock lighting and no CO2. Anything I won't have to constantly be trimming sounds good to me.. the slower growing the better.

Here are some plants i've come up with so far as options:

- Fissidens fontanus or subwassertang for tree leaves (branches are very delicate, so I am worried about putting anything on that will overpower it.. must be a slow grower since it'll be hard to trim this tree!)

- Anubias Nana petite around base of tree.. open to suggestions to put elsewhere

- Elatine gratioloides or Marsilea minuta possibly for low light carpeting

- Christmas moss.. somewhere?

- Dwarf sag along back wall or possibly just back left corner.. or a stem plant of some sort?

From my understanding the plants listed can survive low light no co2 set ups? They dont have to grow fast.. I got all the time in the world if it means low maintenance lol.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0387.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	83106  

jajabinx89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
jajabinx89
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hmm, I think what I'm going to do is plant dwarf sag in the back left corner, place some anubias petite around the base of the tree and maybe 1 next to the rock on the left, put fontanus fissidens in the tree, and tie subwassertang to some rocks around the tank.. anyone see anything wrong with this plant combination?.. also, I only have Flourish Fundamentals kit, will any of these plants need other ferts?

Thanks!
jajabinx89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
idleivey
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you want good growth in a low tech nano, NPT is your best bet. It will also be less labor intensive over time. The only real downside's are you wont achieve maximum growth and you give give up some control.

Edit: plant wise, everything on your list would work but you can easily have high light plants in nano's. Quite a few people have nice HC carpets in low tech NPT's. Light isn't going to be a problem. More likely your water chemistry, substrate and additional fertilizing (if any) will be the deciding factor on what grows best.

Last edited by idleivey; 02-10-2013 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: clarification
idleivey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.