Recommend a SILENT canister filter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
suprdave
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Recommend a SILENT canister filter

Hi all,

I am still looking at replacing the HOB that my aqueon 36 gallon bowfront came with. It looks like the general consensus is that a canister filter is the way to go if you want silent. And by silent, I do mean silent - I don't want to hear it

I am having a hard time finding how exactly they work - is it essentially moving the motor that a HOB has inside the tank into the "canister" area, and you have a intake tube and an output tube? Appears that way, but I don't want to drop $100+ and find out it ain't gonna work for me.

This tank sits on a stand that is a couple feet high and 13" wide on both sides (separator in the middle), so most should fit in it it appears.

Thanks for the recommendations in advance!

Edit: This one has some pretty good reviews, and 4 pages of comments saying it's quiet: http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-CF400U...rch_res_rtr_21
suprdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Get an Eheim or a fluval. I have an Eheim 2215 on my 29 and it is DEAD silent even after a few years. I think the Eheim classic series are literally the most simple design. Water goes in the bottom, is sucked upward through the multiple filtration stages and is piped out the top back into the tank. Once you actually see it for yourself you'll realize how easy it simple it actually is.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

How simple it actually is*
Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
fishwater
Planted Member

What the Trigger said! If you want quiet go with an Eheim.
fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave View Post
Hi all,

I am still looking at replacing the HOB that my aqueon 36 gallon bowfront came with. It looks like the general consensus is that a canister filter is the way to go if you want silent. And by silent, I do mean silent - I don't want to hear it

I am having a hard time finding how exactly they work - is it essentially moving the motor that a HOB has inside the tank into the "canister" area, and you have a intake tube and an output tube? Appears that way, but I don't want to drop $100+ and find out it ain't gonna work for me.

This tank sits on a stand that is a couple feet high and 13" wide on both sides (separator in the middle), so most should fit in it it appears.

Thanks for the recommendations in advance!

Edit: This one has some pretty good reviews, and 4 pages of comments saying it's quiet: http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-CF400U...rch_res_rtr_21
I have one of the aquatop filters and it is dead absolutely dead quiet. it is a beast of a filter, about the size of a desk side trash bin lol which is not a bad thing
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Have had Eheim, Fluval and Rena Filstars. All great filters and very quiet.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
rusty1760
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)

I have an old Rena XP2 on my sons tank in his bedroom, it is almost totally silent and the build quality is great. The clips are nice and sturdy and snap into position beautifully. Not only that but the hoses are non kink silicon so stay nice and supple and don't harden or have a memory like most vinyl hose. I also have a Fluval 405 but would trade it for a Rena in a heart beat the quality is just not even close to the Rena
rusty1760 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Fluval is the only canister I've had and they're silent. You can find some older models for cheap. I've also heard the Renas are quiet for an economical filter.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #9
Cardoc
Algae Grower

If you want no noise what so ever and the simplest filer and assuming you have some money to blow the fluval g3 or g6 is the way to go, it takes me less time to clean than my hob filters and gives you a bunch of good info like flow, temp., conductivity, time elapse on the mechanical, bio., and chemical filter change. Imo the best filter ever made, and I can tell you this thing is solid and will not leak. I have owned a bunch of filter and this is the best.
Cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
suprdave
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds like I can't go wrong with any model.... The eheim recommendations echo what some other forums are saying as well.

I'm looking at this model in the 66 Gallon selection (for my 36 gallon tank - should be enough right? :P) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...seller=&sr=1-1

Another question... is the return water bar long enough on these to be able to get it either close enough to the water line where it won't make any noise? Or even better, under the water line? This tank is in the living room, so I am trying to minimize noise as much as possible on it.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #11
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

I have an Eheim 2217, 2 2213s, a 2211, and an aquaclear 20 all in my 9'x14' office. The AC20 is by far the noisiest thing in here. Once an Eheim Classic settles in, the most it produces is a gentle hum and a little whooshing. The Eheims come with enough hose and a spray bar to put the outflow wherever you want. I have all of mine just under the surface of the water. Unless you point them upwards so that they lift water above the surface, this part of the system is totally silent. As far as sizing, you might want to just pony up for a 2217. Once your plants start growing, you'll find you need more flow than you expected.
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
suprdave
Algae Grower

Thanks! I went with the 2215. The 2217 is not going to fit in the cabinet under the tank.

We'll see how she does!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Eheim classics are pretty silent.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

2215 was a good choice. It has never steered me wrong. As for the spray bar, I put mine about an inch or so under the water line and tip it up at about a 45 degree angle for a little bit of surface agitation. Makes no sound whatsoever
Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Landau
Algae Grower

Default One quiet trick

My Fluval 205 was a bit noisy, not due to the filter directly but due to a resonance in the wall and stand floor.

I have an inline heater and some stiffer than standard tubing to it. This was transmitting some vibration from the filter to the wall behind the tank, producing a low hum. It was actually louder in the bedroom on the other side of the wall than in the aquarium room.

I used a few zip ties to hold the heater against the stand and off the wall, instantly much quieter. Next I put a small piece of carpet under the filter between it and the rather flimsy bottom shelf of my stand. All noise gone!

29G - ReefKeeper Lite Controller - Pressurized CO2 - Hydor Inline heater - Fluval 205 - Fluval Pimp #18
Landau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.