New Nano Planted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
jrlyons21
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default New Nano Planted

Hello Everyone. Newbie to the forum, but not to the hobby.

I found some 3/16" glass scrap at a local glass shop for free. I will be building a small desktop aquarium out of it. No worries, I have built several in the past, and it will only be a ~5 gallon at 16" x 8" x 8" because the widest pieces of glass were 8". Not too sure I'd feel comfortable building much higher anyways. I know its small, but the glass was free, and it will be housing a 4.5 year old betta so...

I will be setting this new tank up planted freshwater. Here's the plan...input requested.

Tank: DIY 16"x8"x8"x3/16" (5 gallon)
Lighting: Finnex Ray2 16" (ordered 2/4/2013)
Filtration: Rapid Canister 80
Heater: Theo 25W
Substrate: Most likely dirted with Flourite on top
CO2: Please advise...I've had DIY in the past, but I'm interested the mini pressurized kit from fluval?
Fishes: My 4.5 year old Betta, no negotiaion! Most likely some shrimp as well.
Plants: Please advise for this shallow tank.

On lighting: Anybody had any experience with this module form Ecoxotic or other Cree 3W LED setups?

In the past, I have had a hard time with getting HC to spread with Eco-Complete, but I can't really say that Eco-Complete was the definite assignable cause. Any recommendation for substrate is greatly appreciated.

The pressurized CO2 could be way to much for the small tank, but it is pretty neat how it's setup. The flow of the gas is regulated by you daily and dissolved via reactor. You can dose the reactor as much or as little as you like.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this.

Julian

Last edited by jrlyons21; 02-05-2013 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: Setup Updated
jrlyons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
joey24dirt
Algae Grower

Hey there. Welcome to the forum. I'm relatively new myself but have found it to be a wealth of knowledge. I have just started off my own 5 gal nano. I too wanted co2 so I put in the fluval mini 20g. It's a handy idea but the trouble is the reactor for me was too big and bulky. Plus the refills are a little expensive. I think I paid 14 for three refills. Which doesn't seem too bad but they do run out fairly quick. I also had a few issues with the valve leaking. Fluval replace them so it's not too bad. I quickly upgraded to a refillable setup and just kept the mini 20 for back up. It's way cheaper in the long run doing that. Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
JimmyZ
Algae Grower

Sounds like a great build! I agree with Joey, though. You're better off skipping the Fluval CO2 and going with a 5lb tank and regulator/solenoid if you have the room. It seems expensive to start but that setup will save you $$$ over time. I'm running pressurized in my 5 gallon spec with upgraded lighting and couldn't be happier with the results.
JimmyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
jrlyons21
Algae Grower

Could you both post some links maybe to the setups that you suggest for a small tank. I have a large CO2 refillable canister from paintball...
Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
JimmyZ
Algae Grower

I'm using a Milwaukee MA 957 regulator and a SMS 122 pH controller. I've heard mixed reviews about the MA 957 but mine has been fine so far. You could use a timer instead of the pH controller. I just happened to get a good deal on a combo package so I'm using the controller. If you look around on bid sites you can usually get a good deal. I also run an Azoo regulator and Pinpoint pH controller on my 29g planted. That was a combo deal from Drs. Foster and Smith and was quite expensive but has worked flawlessly for the last 5 years.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey24dirt View Post
Hey there. Welcome to the forum. I'm relatively new myself but have found it to be a wealth of knowledge. I have just started off my own 5 gal nano. I too wanted co2 so I put in the fluval mini 20g. It's a handy idea but the trouble is the reactor for me was too big and bulky. Plus the refills are a little expensive. I think I paid 14 for three refills. Which doesn't seem too bad but they do run out fairly quick. I also had a few issues with the valve leaking. Fluval replace them so it's not too bad. I quickly upgraded to a refillable setup and just kept the mini 20 for back up. It's way cheaper in the long run doing that. Hope this helps.
I read that you do not have to buy the Fluval refills. Not sure if that makes it much less expensive.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
joey24dirt
Algae Grower

I just use a refillable tank with a regulator valve I got from that popular auction site. It has a solenoid valve on it so it runs on a timer. Then from there to a bubble counter and then into the tank through the co2 diffuser. Not sure if there's a link for that set up anywhere but it's pretty simple to sort out. A lot of the stuff I use has come from china. It's not any brand I've heard of but I've got two of the regulators now and they work fine. I have it running at around 1-2 bps and that's in the fluval spec v and I'm getting pearling so it must be doing its job :-) have a look at my spec thread and see if there's anything there that may help :-)
Old 02-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
jrlyons21
Algae Grower

Update:

Went to Lowes to pick up some GE aquarium safe silicon. I already have the tools needed to put this little guy together. Just decided to use to fresh silicon.

Today, I ordered a few things from Amazon:

Lighting: Finnex Ray2 Daylight LED light (7,000K)
Heater: Hydor Theo 25W
Chems: Flourish Excel
Substrate: Flourite

Should be here this Friday???

On the other hand, anybody have any plant recommendations for this setup?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
jrlyons21
Algae Grower

Default Pictures of my built aquarium

Another update. Built the little tank up this afternoon.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1249.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	80722

Name:	IMAG1250.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	80730
Old 02-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Nice work on the glass.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #11
jrlyons21
Algae Grower

Thank you! Now I just need to find what I will be using for hardscape...gonna go walk through the woods tomorrow...probably my favorite thing to do.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Nice build!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:07 AM   #13
jrlyons21
Algae Grower

Just a quick update

Picked up a very small crypt and some pygmy chain today. Oh and the other day when I went walking through the woods, I ventured to a stream and found some cool striped river rock.

Name:	IMAG1257.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	83338

Name:	IMAG1258.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	83346
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
JimmyZ
Algae Grower

Julian-Any updates to the progress of this tank?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #15
jrlyons21
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyZ View Post
Julian-Any updates to the progress of this tank?
JimmyZ, I completely changed my aquascape. Ill put up pictures tomorrow when the tank clears up.