Anyone else like variations in the intensity if light over a tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Anyone else like variations in the intensity if light over a tank?

To me it looks more natural when the lighting over the tank has different intensity of illumination. It looks more natural, like perhaps there is a big tree or lim above shading some areas of a river or something. I'm going to try doing this window screen blocking different parts alon the length of the bulb. Anyone else like or do something similar?
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

the light has to be ver far away to really achieve tis look
Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

My community tank features higher light plants at one end and mostly lower light plants at the other. The LED light bar is adjusted so it's centered over the right hand 2/3rds of the tank and I've got a screen covered piece of glass that helps dim the light on a small strip across the far left side.

Used to just use floaters to try and get the same affect, but they're bloody hard to keep corralled. Happily, I discovered the glass canopy for a 2.5g standard tank fits perfectly across my 37g tall--glued down window screen and it's ready to slide into place to keep my java fern and anubia just that little bit less lit.

Not the usual look, but I like the extra dimension it adds.

Last edited by Knotyoureality; 01-30-2013 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: clarity
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
jhays79
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
My community tank features higher light plants at one end and mostly lower light plants at the other. The LED light bar is adjusted so it's centered over the right hand 2/3rds of the tank and I've got a screen covered piece of glass that helps dim the light on a small strip across the far left side.

Used to just use floaters to try and get the same affect, but they're bloody hard to keep corralled. Happily, I discovered the glass canopy for a 2.5g standard tank fits perfectly across my 37g tall--glued down window screen and it's ready to slide into place to keep my java fern and anubia just that little bit less lit.

Not the usual look, but I like the extra dimension it adds.

Exactly my thought. More dimension!
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote