Filtering?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
ApplestoApples
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Filtering?

Ina riparium/paularium, how do you people filter it? Obviously a hob wouldnt work and a sponge filter wouldn't look good.
ApplestoApples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Yo-han
Algae Grower

External filter or by integrating it below the substrate or something
Yo-han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
uberape
Algae Grower

you mean paludarium ha, anyway, i wouldnt bother, if you have enough fast growing plants with roots in the water and down into the substrate your water will be perfect. The problem is if you need to heat the water then of course you will have terrible cold spots. I keep coldwater newts that prefer no filter and the water is perfect, i dont even change it, just top ups every 2-3 months. get cherry shrimp to break down waste (newt [censored][censored][censored][censored]s) and you have a little eco-system.
uberape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

I use cannister filters with plumbing integrated and hidden in my background. Didn't provide quite enough circulation for a planted tank, so I added a powerhead as the only visible piece of equipment.
wheatiesl337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #5
ApplestoApples
Algae Grower

Default Filtering?

Canisters and these options sound really pricey, and I want to keep dwarf cichlids.
ApplestoApples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Most of the paludariums I've done before just incorporated the filter into a waterfall.

I usually try and incorporate some sort of overflow, to help cut down on the surface scum/film, and then it either flows into a chamber where I'll stick a sponge or something, and then pumped up to the waterfall.

Or sometimes I would just have a powerhead pump water into the chamber under/behind the waterfall, which would have sponges/media in it.

As uberape mentioned, the plants will reduce the need for filtration, and if you put in something like a dripwall, I suspect it would work like a wet/dry filter, as well as using the plants/moss for nutrient removal (but keep in mind drip walls tend to have very low flow rates).

I'm planning on using a sump for my next paludarium (mostly to get the heater out of sight, and to be able to maintain a constant water level in the main tank), which can be pretty inexpensive - you'd have to be careful building the overflows/siphons/etc., but they can be built with pvc fittings pretty cheaply; other then that, you only really need a waterproof container and a pump (If there isn't a height difference, you may be able to use a powerhead.

depending on your set up, you may be able to use some sort of mattenfilter, especially if you can put it in a corner/under a ledge, I don't think it would even be recognizable as a filter by most people, it would just fade into the background. You'd have to be careful with the surface area/flow rate, but that would also mean a lower volume (and cheaper) pump.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote