LED floods for 45g high light
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
Kosch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default LED floods for 45g high light

Hi All,

Been trying to figure out how light this 45g tank I have. I'm wanting to get up to the lower end of the high light range. Wanting to get some carpet plants going and will be doing CO2 and PPS-PRO. I know the height being 24" is the tough part.

I was thinking of these:

[Ebay Link Removed]

In daylight spectrum of course

Would 2 x 20w floods cover, or will I need either 3x20w or 2x30w?

Trying to not completely break the bank as I'll likely be upgrading to a 90g near the end of the year.

Thanks in advance!

Kosch
Kosch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

Link from ebay was automatically removed here. perhaps if you have alink to the light elsewhere?

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

2x30w's will be better than 3x 20w all day for growing a carpet. To be sure your going to have high light at the substrate, you might need to go with 2x 30W, or 1x50w. Maybe spring for the 50w and then you can just get another one when you upgrade to the 90 gallon.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Kosch
Algae Grower

Oh yeah forgot it deletes links here. Its by seller ememexit entitled " 50W 30W 20W 10W Day Warm White LED Wall Pack Wash Flood Light Lamp Garden Light". I thought I somehow found it on here somewhere originally.

I think I'll probably go with the 2x30w then, just to ensure more even coverage. I'm probably going to go with the AquaticLife 6x54w T5HO when I do my "big" upgrade, and I'll have more of a use for 2 separate 30w instead of 1 50w.

Thanks for the help folks!

Kosch
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
RogueGeek
Algae Grower

Make sure to check the color temp of the warm white LEDs. Most of the ones I saw while looking for my LED floods were in the 3000k range. I wanted 6000k+ and had to search for the cool whites to get 6000k.

Today i finished my new tank lights using the led floods. Maybe this will help you a bit. I have 4 of the cool white (6000-7000k) 10W Ebay LED Floods equally spaced across the top of my 36G tank.

I don't have a PAR meter but I do have a lux meter that outputs the lux for each of the RGB colors and a total.

At 18" depth my readings were
Red: 845 lux
Green: 729 lux
Blue: 561 lux
Total: 2120 lux

Using some of the conversion factors I've seen on various forums it looks like I'm getting a PAR of around 30. (this is only a guestimate)

-Brian
RogueGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Kosch
Algae Grower

So I picked up 2 of the 30 watt Daylight floods. I have to say, I'm rather disappointed. On my 29 I was experimenting with 3 x 23w Spiral CFLs in the plain clip-on aluminum holders from Lowes.

The CFLs seem FAR brighter and more even. I don't have a real lux meter, but I tried the app on my phone. Even if it isn't accurate, it showed the CFLs as being a good 30% brighter.

Anyone else had that issue? Maybe they sent me the wrong lights??

Kosch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.