Substrate decision
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
Wolf19
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Substrate decision

The LPS in the area seem to primarily carry the (1) ECO-Complete, and (2)Flourite Substrate.

I have read the sticky on the forum page, and I will likely choose to go with the Flourite Black Substrate. My question is:

What fertilizers am I looking to add into this 'nutrient-empty' substrate? Do I add this directly into the substrate, or after planting and adding the water. (First time doing an aquascape)

Thanks in advance!
Wolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (423/100%)

Welcome to the forum. You'll want to read more than the substrate sticky. Search around through various tank journals and really get a feel for what you like and what people say both positively and negatively.

That said - you'll likely be using root tabs with Flourite. How many tabs and how often will depend upon the plants you've got and how quickly they eat things up.

If you'll be high-tech with high lighting and pressurized CO2, you'll be dosing dry or liquid ferts into your tank on a daily basis.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote