Desk Safe to Use For Riparium?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
macrophyte
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Desk Safe to Use For Riparium?

Hey everyone,

I have a question about whether my desk will provide enough support for a 20 gallon riparium I have in the works. The desk is made of 1" thick varnished cherry wood, and has 2" square metal legs. What do you guys think? If it makes a difference, I will most likely run the tank with a shallow water level (~4 gallons, ~35 lbs.), to help ease the load a bit on the desk.

Thank you for your help
macrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
tekkguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

20 gallons of water only weighs 160 pounds. Would you trust it to hold a 250 pound adult?
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
macrophyte
Algae Grower

the desk feels pretty solid with the empty tank + 140 lbs on it. What I worry about is a) if the desk will sag over time and then snap, and b) the stand is somewhat wobbly front-to-back now sitting on carpet. The tank will not be completely full, at most it will have in it is ~6.5 gallons.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
jeremy va
Planted Member

I do a little woodworking and, if it were me, I wouldn't worry a bit about putting that tank with that load on that corner. This assumes the legs are properly secured to the cherry board with screws. The wood will not snap or warp since the load is in the corner over the legs and, anyway, it will only be 50 - 60 Lbs.
jeremy va is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
macrophyte
Algae Grower

That is what I wanted to hear. It was either the 20 or a 3 gallon nano I have in storage, and that little pint-sized tank just doesn't have the same amount of impact.

In your opinion, do you think 60 lbs. is the max? Just wondering, for if I were to fill the tank with 6.5 gallons of water (to create a golden ratio of height between water portion and air portion), it would come out to around 80-90 lbs.

Thanks again for your help
Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
jeremy va
Planted Member

That's less than a person. Like the other person said, do you feel a person could sit on the table safely? It certainly seems safe to me (unless the legs are attached with really rinky dink little screws).
jeremy va is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #7
macrophyte
Algae Grower

haha your right. yep, the legs are screwed on very securely. I guess it is a habit from when I had a reef tank- double check everything. You never want to be the guy who has to explain why gallons of saltwater are soaking into the carpet. Thank you for your help.

Alright, on to the next step in the assembly of the 20 gallon riparium.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.