A mysterious infestation of snails...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Jacaranda
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default A mysterious infestation of snails...

I have a bit of a puzzle on my hands: I have a tank to which nothing has been added in months; the last thing I added plant- or fish-wise was some water sprite back in August.

However, as I was performing a large water change today, I noticed what appeared to be baby snails on the glass! I crushed all of the ones in sight right away, but I'm still perplexed; were they dormant on the plants or in the gravel (Eco-Complete) and simply waiting for prime conditions to hatch?

This is the first time I've had snails in the tank in about... the sixish, sevenish, months I've had this tank running. Comparing them to mental images of young snails from an aquarium many, many years ago (long gone before I started up the hobby again), they look to be pond snails; I can find no adults in the tank to compare them to, only the mysteriously appearing babies.
Jacaranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Check in the filters. They'll live and reproduce there happily, out of sight, as they don't need light.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have taken bags of gravel from torn down tanks, dried it, sealed in a bag for like 6 month, washed with hot hot water, put in a tank and out comes snails inside of 5 minutes in the tank. lol. They are pesky little things but I like them. They eat left over food, they eat dying leaves, they clean the glass of anything, and are a good little clean up crew. If one week you see 6 snails and then next week, 600, you are overfeeding, so they are a great indicator for that as well. They breed when food is good, go dormant when it's not, so population explosions are usually always related to too much food.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote