When to start dosing in my newly setuped tank !!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
sumer
No Feeling is final

PTrader: (23/96%)
Exclamation When to start dosing in my newly setuped tank !!

Hello,

Its 4 days since my tank is finally planted. CO2 levels are just fine. Plants are pearling like anything. And I've planted many plants to reduce the risk of algae bloom.
Substrate is Amazonia new. I'm changing 50% water daily.
My water parameters are-
pH- 6.4 (Tap water has 7.2 but I think Amazonia and CO2 took it down)
Ammonia- 2 ppm
Nitrite - 0.25 ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm
KH- 3 ppm
GH - 4 ppm
TDS- 69 ppm
Temp- 23.1 deg C
Lights- LED.
Photoperiod - 6 hours. (will keep increasing it every 2-3 days by half an hour)

So my question is- When should I start dosing in my tank. I've bought Pfertz fertilizers, ADA green gain and ADA ECA. So wanna use them first. As you all must be knowing Pfertz is going down, so ultimately I'll have to switch to EI later but for now I wanna use Pfertz. So when should I start dosing and in what quantity ? Any help on this matter would be helpful.

Thank you,
Sumer.
sumer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Since there is still ammonia in your aquarium, I would not bother fertilizing nitrogen until the ammonia is gone (plants preferentially uptake ammonia to nitrates for a nitrogen source).

Phosphates, trace mix and other nutrients (potassium if you are dosing it) can be dosed immediately.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
wizza
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Since you have no fauna (which quite rightly you shouldnt) I would slow down on the water changes, allowing your levels to peak.
Also I would keep your photo period as is for a little while longer.
wizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

A tank consists of a series of cycles, ammonia, nitrates, nitrides themselves must cycle in addition to all the bacterial, enzymes etc which must be given time to develop. Water changes are used to keep levels from spiking to prevent harm to fish and other livestock. if this is a plant only tank, there should be no reason why dosing could not start today for the plant development and intake of NPK should run independantly. If you are cycling with Ammonia however, the risk of getting plants burned is a there as it is strong so be mindful of dosages over the days/weeks until the ammonia levels gradually diminish.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
sumer
No Feeling is final

PTrader: (23/96%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Since there is still ammonia in your aquarium, I would not bother fertilizing nitrogen until the ammonia is gone (plants preferentially uptake ammonia to nitrates for a nitrogen source).

Phosphates, trace mix and other nutrients (potassium if you are dosing it) can be dosed immediately.
Yeah you're right. Nitrates are 20ppm which are like okay for N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
A tank consists of a series of cycles, ammonia, nitrates, nitrides themselves must cycle in addition to all the bacterial, enzymes etc which must be given time to develop. Water changes are used to keep levels from spiking to prevent harm to fish and other livestock. if this is a plant only tank, there should be no reason why dosing could not start today for the plant development and intake of NPK should run independantly. If you are cycling with Ammonia however, the risk of getting plants burned is a there as it is strong so be mindful of dosages over the days/weeks until the ammonia levels gradually diminish.
Nitrogen cycle I know about and so adding Seachem stability too. But what i dont know is about enzymes cycles. So shouldnt I change the water evryday ? I mean I was changing water just to keep the ammonia level under control. I will change 50% water every 2 or 3 days now. And I have started dosing micro, P and K now. Nitrates are enough to keep the plants go.
sumer is online now   Reply With Quote