Color other than blue or black for back glass?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Color other than blue or black for back glass?

I've been thinking about painting the back glass of my tanks. Never did it before, but I like the way it looks. It seems that I can only find pics of blue or black backgrounds. Anyone use another color? Thoughts on how it looked?
longgonedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have all my tanks painted black, but I've been recently rethinking this. Something light colored to mimic blue sky in the background. It would depend what your doing with the tank and the scape but I think it adds alot of depth and a more natural look. When you look at a landscape photo (above water) the blue sky is an integral part. It's the same for an aquascape.

Look at pics of scaped tanks with light backgrounds, I think it makes a huge difference.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm partial to black myself. I think using a dark color (black, dark blue, etc.) gives an illusion of depth, and can help bring out the colors of fish and plants (similar to a dark substrate).

On the other hand, I think most of the pics of Amano tanks I've seen don't seem to have any background at all, and they look pretty good.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

There's an amazing number of options--all can look spectacular.

Frosted white or blue are particularly cool if there's some backlighting, various shades of window-tinting can provide a less stark alternative to the usual solid black. Dark pine green can provide the deep contrast needed to hide equipment and pop the tank colors without the harshness of flat black (had this on my shrimp tank-loved it so much I'll be replacing the overly stark black on my 37g with dark green next time I'm able to access the back).

I've seen some ombre treatments--shading from deep blue to light blue as you move towards the top--that are simple breathtaking.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

I think dark green would look really nice, although I don't use a background on my tank. There's a light blue wall behind it, but the tannins make it look sort of greenish-brown.
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

here
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ght=watermelon

and here

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...low+background
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

that watermelon looks awful until I saw it totally set up with the fish. now I think its AWESOME!!!

TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Mahlady
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet View Post
that watermelon looks awful until I saw it totally set up with the fish. now I think its AWESOME!!!
WoW@watermelon with fish in it!
That's hot, I might just paint my new 55g that. It's great.

As for green, I have hunter green walls, and the 55 I have in there against the green always looks algea-ish. I don't like the green, so I added a black background, which with Tannis, makes the tank look drastically dark.
I think I will go with watermelon to the left and then blue to the right for my 55 twins.

I love that watermelon!

Last edited by Mahlady; 01-19-2013 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: added photo
Mahlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
Algae Beater
Planted Tank Obsessed

try white, I have used white rattle can on a few nanos and have been VERY pleased
Algae Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
Algae Beater
Planted Tank Obsessed

for example

Algae Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #11
Tenor1
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algae Beater View Post
for example

This is a great post and thanks for sharing all the pictures. What I wondered about the white background is whether you see algae on it more easily than black or a darker color? The upside of a light color is reflecting more light for the plants.

After 50 years I do a lot of things right, but still get things wrong
Tenor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #12
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

This is a terrible example as the florescent light have tainted the true color.

You can get a pint of white latex paint at HomeDepot and have it tinted with just a little color. The background above is really faint powder blue. A light back ground bounces more light around in the tank.

In this tank I used a 2'x4' Bubble Textured floresent ceiling light defuser from HomeDepot cut to size. It's behind the tank.

I like this better as different amounts of room light will affect the background. Also, different amounts of light will shine through at various levels. I like that more than the solid color of my painted backgrounds.

I don't have a pic but, I've also used 5% "limo" window film. That will also have different light play so it doesn't look too uniform.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
You can get a pint of white latex paint at HomeDepot and have it tinted with just a little color. The background above is really faint powder blue. A light back ground bounces more light around in the tank.

In the past, I've had good experience with spraypaint, but considering I'm in a studio apartment not on the ground floor (and dealing with bigger tanks), I'm gong to try the latex paint. When I was in Home Depot, they had these little ~7oz sized trial for a couple dollars, that you can get tinted (I got mine black). container says it should cover a 4x4 area, which should be enough for 2+ coats on most tanks.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #14
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
In the past, I've had good experience with spraypaint, but considering I'm in a studio apartment not on the ground floor (and dealing with bigger tanks), I'm gong to try the latex paint. When I was in Home Depot, they had these little ~7oz sized trial for a couple dollars, that you can get tinted (I got mine black). container says it should cover a 4x4 area, which should be enough for 2+ coats on most tanks.
I saw those two but if I remember correctly the tints were darker than I wanted?

The 1st coat is the most important color wise when you use latex. If it's a bit too dark the 2nd coat use white. I had to to cross hatch my layers as I let the paint get to tick. I painted out doors in July and I should have cut the paint with water. I didn't get the smoothest finish. Still turned out O.K.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #15
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nor are you limited to solid colors. This was a bit of an experimental treatment for a holding tank for excess plants and fish, a sort of "junk" tank. Since it would potentially be thin on plants at times, I wanted a background with some built in depth and complexity.

Painted in about nine layers, the colors range from metallic golds and copper to various greens, blues and browns. The final coat was a solid dark pine green.

And how it looks planted:

Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote