happy bday 2 me
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
ReefkprZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default happy bday 2 me

Been A while guys, I got out of fresh water for a while to go back to reef-keeping, but fact is I love freshie tanks too so I am getting...

a new fluval edge 6 gallon for my birthday. got it together. and water in it 'scaped now I am gonna let it run and think very carefully about what Plants I want. I am definitely going minimalist on this tank. maybe some dwarf hairgrass and some gree crypts on the mound. Any how without further blather here it is so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	68897  

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	68905  

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
ReefkprZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
ReefkprZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

forgot to mention what I plan on keeping for fish in here. am thinking maybe 6-7 rasbora heteromorpha and 5-6 either black neons or regular neon tetera. what are your guys thoughts on my scape so far?

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Welcome back the freshie side!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
ReefkprZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

any one have any suggestion as to what plant I should put on the hill? it needs to be small (or something that handles pruning well for shape and size) but bushy, or treelike in appearance would be nice I am trying to create the "field with a rocky hill and tree outcrop" look. the fish will be the bird like appearance in the field. and maybe a few snails for the small wildloife look such as squirrles etc. (I know I am crazy but I think this can look really neat) was also thinking maybe on the hill a tiny piece of drift wood as the "tree" with attached foliage like windelov java fern, your thoughts?

I found one fish I definitely want that I hadn't planned on before. a dennisons barb, my question is does anyone know how fast a dennisons barb grows because it till out grow this tank (I think they get about 6 inches). if they are a slow growing fish I will buy one till it gets too big then trade it out for a smaller one later. if they grow really fast I wont bother adding it because i dont want to be swapping out fish every 3 months. especially since the actual logistics of catching fish with sucha small acess hole is a nightmare. mini net fast moving fish etc.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
ReefkprZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Welcome back the freshie side!
thanks man lookjing forward to updateing this thread as I progress. just need some input from others since I only have a very limited experience with minimalist aquascaping. usually I go hardcore wild overgrown look with my plants and I don't want that in this tank. I want to keep it clean and elegant. I may even remove some of those rocks to make it a more subtle effect in stead of a tier. I'll get another photo so everyone can see the aquascape unfogged and get a better idea of what I have in there and maybe make better suggestions for me.

I already removed the 2 small rocks on the hilltop, and added one more natural looking stone than the pieces of square slate that are there in the picture up above. my camera is currently at work so new pics will have to wait until tonight.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Your welcome. I'll have to check back for updated pics.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (175/100%)

happy bday!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Happy b-day and welcome back.
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Smitty06
Planted Member

Have you looked at emerald eye rasbora? They stay in the top region of the tank. For plants, are you looking at some kind of plant like a stem, or more carpet like?

Happy b- day
Smitty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
ReefkprZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok so here is what I hav so far.
fish load maxed out not going to have the dennisons barb. I have

3 rasbora heteromorpha
2 bleeding heart tetra
1 otto cat
MAY add 1 cory cat not sure.

and yes I know adding so many fish at once in a tiny tank is risky, but I did add active bacteria to the tank Before adding the fish. I also have plenty of seachem prime on hand for ammonia detox if needed and I also have water prepped and ready of a 50% waterchange if needed. so I am not too worried about it.

I went today and bought some green crypts and some dwarf hair grass. I will probably pick up another batch or two of the DHG so I can fill it in quicker. I planted it in clumps rather than individual pieces in hopes that it will stay down better. I know from past experience when planting DHG 50% of the individual piece wind up coming up and floating around about 3 dozen times.

but here is what the tank looks like right now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	72202  

Old 01-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
vincenz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

Nice start there. What kind of crypts are you using in the back there?

The Spawning Pool-- 75g shallow square DECOMMISSIONED

Three Worlds-- 4g triple sphere DECOMMISSIONED
vincenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Looks like you are off to a good start. Funny how once we get aquariums in our blood, we never really get out of the hobby. How is the construction work in Maine going these days?
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
ReefkprZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

after not being around a while fuigured I would pop in for an update the stock lights that come with the cube are junk for plant growing they are too weak for good photosynthesis and definitely need upgrading. they can grow algae that can subsist in really low light but thats about it. I am unimpressed with the lights.

bought my wife a cheap 1 gallon tank with "crappy" leds on them and planted some green crypto's in both tanks at the same time. even though the 1 gallon is deeper her plant is double the size of mine in the edge having planted both at the same time as in about the same position (directly under the light). going to have to look into changing the lighting.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkprZ View Post
after not being around a while fuigured I would pop in for an update the stock lights that come with the cube are junk for plant growing they are too weak for good photosynthesis and definitely need upgrading. they can grow algae that can subsist in really low light but thats about it. I am unimpressed with the lights.

bought my wife a cheap 1 gallon tank with "crappy" leds on them and planted some green crypto's in both tanks at the same time. even though the 1 gallon is deeper her plant is double the size of mine in the edge having planted both at the same time as in about the same position (directly under the light). going to have to look into changing the lighting.
I know there are a bunch of guys on here that modded that tank to have LED lights in them. Might find some threads dedicated to it in the DIY section.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote