Separating sand from Eco complete
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
EpicSpec
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Separating sand from Eco complete

I just got a 55 gallon fish tank. I would like to turn it into a community planted tank and it would be my first planted tank I would like to have sand ( probably pool filter sand)as the top lay for my loaches and Cory cats. For the bottom layer I would like Eco complete or fluorite. I was wondering if I could separate the layers with a mesh of some kind so they do not mix. Is this possible?
EpicSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

It would take something with extra fine pore size. Like pantyhose or similar. And I wouldn't just later it, I would actually use the largest pairs of pantyhose I could find and fill them up, tie them off and layer them on the glass. Then pour pfs on top. You'll probably end up with plant roots puncturing the barrier though, no matter how you split the layers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
EpicSpec
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just want something to stop the Eco earth or fluorite to appear on the top of the substrate and won't let it mix with the sand when iMovie plants and objects
EpicSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

You could lay a flat layer of filter floss all the way across the bottom.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've had cory cats and kuhli loaches on flourite before, and it didn't seem to be a problem. Also, lots of people on here keep cories on blasting grit, which is likely more abrasive/sharper then flourite.

I'm not sure there is a good reason to do this, unless you just like the look of pool filter sand. Plus, if you are using PFS as a cap, you may as well use something like dirt, or oildri or safetsorb underneath, all of which would be far cheaper then flourite/ecocomplete and may even work better (nutrients from dirt, better CEC for oildri/safetsorb).

As to separating the layers, I'd go with something similar to what steven p said. maybe get some cheap polyester batting at a craft store or something.

Or a coconut coir type basket/pot liner - sometimes you can find those pretty thin, it would allow roots to penetrate, and it would break down over time (on the scale of years), so it shouldn't really restrict plants or anything.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
eco complete, plant, pool, sand, seperate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.