Overdosing ferts in plant only tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
sdbrewer
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Default Overdosing ferts in plant only tank

What are the repercussions of overdosing ferts (NPK and micro) in a plant only tank? For instance, if one followed standard EI dosing, but skipped the 50% water change for 2 or 3 weeks, would there be negative effects on the plants? This is also assuming the tank has adequate CO2 and high lighting.
sdbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

None on the plants, you can graph the outcome id you use Wet's graphing EI calculator:

http://rota.la/ei/

Hydroponics often goes much richer than what we dose, but upper ranges in the 80-100 ppm are not suggested, still, that's a huge target to hit.
You shoukld be able to figure out from there, CO2/light are the main drivers, so if you use LESS light, then if you have LESS plant biomass, eg, say all hairgrass, then you can dose much less than EI, and also have much less build up, thus less/fewer water changes.

I would advise doing many water changes, 2-3x a week till you get a good feel for any tank however, THEN....reduce water changes, dosing etc.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
csf
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)

Anecdotal knowledge says nothing for 2-3 weeks other than plant growth might get crummy. Too much longer and things start to crash in my tank (lack of something stops growth and algae starts up).

I have lots of fish in mine, never had much of an issue w/ the fish either.

My biggest issues are when a filter clogs or a large fish dies and I don't realize it (3" pleco in the back). Then I've got a big nutrient dump.

Keep an eye on the algae and the plants, if they do something different, do a WC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbrewer View Post
What are the repercussions of overdosing ferts (NPK and micro) in a plant only tank? For instance, if one followed standard EI dosing, but skipped the 50% water change for 2 or 3 weeks, would there be negative effects on the plants? This is also assuming the tank has adequate CO2 and high lighting.
csf is offline   Reply With Quote