Fixing Floramax Midnight (black)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 01-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Tvadna
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default Fixing Floramax Midnight (black)

After reading some of the reviews on Floramax I decided to check the pH my 10 gallon planted tank. The tank has been set up for about 2 months with strictly RO water and with an inital pH around 7. The growth was great at first but has recently slowed. I checked the pH today and found it to be 8.2+ ( chart was maxed). It doesn't seem to have effected the KH nearly as much with a reading of about 6degrees.

There has been some talk of limestone(or like) chips mixed in with the substrate. I have also noticed some discolored chunks in my substrate. Some people have mentioned placing these chips in vinegar and they bubbled. Upon reading this I came up with a theory for a fix.

What I am going to do is place some floramax in a tub with vinegar and let it sit for a few weeks. This should break down the limestone pieces. After the process is complete I plan on rinsing the substrate and placing it back into RO water to sit for a few days to re-test the pH.
If anyone has tried this in order to make the substrate inert and basically usable again let me know. Otherwise stay tuned for the results...
Tvadna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
quietace
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ive used this substrate for 6 months with no problems with PH(6.5 out of tap) and havent raised it any. But i did wash it for a good 3 hours and then letting it soak in declorinaded water and then repeated it before i put it in my tank.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
Contrl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I don't notice a problem with my Floramax midnight.

ph 8.4 out of my tap... 8.3 in the tank.

I just hope my RO still works after sitting idle 5 years... (wet)
Contrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
difrent7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I am using floramax midnight without any PH issues. Ph from my tap is about 7.8 and is identical in the tank.
difrent7 is offline   Reply With Quote