Howdy from Middleton
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Wisconsin

Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Aquaticus
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Howdy from Middleton

Hey fellow Wisconsinites,

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 10 year absence. I bought a 65 gallon a couple of weekends ago, and have it cycling while I pick up parts for a high-tech setup including some T5HOs and CO2. It sure has been interesting to see the differences a decade makes, including the impact that CFLs and T5s has had. Hard to believe that people aren't using MH or VHOs much anymore. I hope my Ice Caps will drive my T5HOs OK.

Anyone have any tips for plants or livestock in the Madison area? As a west sider, I'm familiar with Living Art, but they seem pretty salt water focused.

Aquaticus
Aquaticus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticus View Post
Hey fellow Wisconsinites,

I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 10 year absence. I bought a 65 gallon a couple of weekends ago, and have it cycling while I pick up parts for a high-tech setup including some T5HOs and CO2. It sure has been interesting to see the differences a decade makes, including the impact that CFLs and T5s has had. Hard to believe that people aren't using MH or VHOs much anymore. I hope my Ice Caps will drive my T5HOs OK.

Anyone have any tips for plants or livestock in the Madison area? As a west sider, I'm familiar with Living Art, but they seem pretty salt water focused.

Aquaticus
reasearch on the type of plants u wanted since ur going for t5HO..and co2..
Eheim Pimp Club #506
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Troxey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I know a lot of people have negative feelings about big box stores, but I've had really good results with the Petsmart right across the street from living art. Their tanks and fish look clean, and I've had no problems with the fish I've gotten there. I can't remember what they have for plants though. Some Petsmarts seemed to have phased out their plant offereings other than the plants in a plastic container. Living art does seem to have a decent amount of plants.

I haven't been here very long, but welcome to the forum and welcome back to fishkeeping!!
Troxey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Madsci

PTrader: (3/100%)

Pet world has probably the best selection of fish and plants in town. I'd recommend the pet supermarket too. Check out the Madison aquarium gardeners club too. There's a monthly meeting - lots of great advice and I came home with four bags of plants this last week.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
Madsci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Hurley427
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Im from arena(30 min out), Im just getting back into the hobby too after 5 years. Even shrimp prices and selection has changed alot. Im hoping to do some local buying and trading with some locals in the future.
Hurley427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Aquaticus
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Just took the kids to Pet World, and I was pretty impressed. Large selection. Decent prices. I have to say that in the ten years I've been gone, prices have gone up quite a bit, especially for entry level stuff. No more 2 for 1 zebra danios.
Aquaticus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #7
DBlauj
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/82%)

Pet World has probably got the biggest selection on both fish and plants. I agree with Troxey on Petsmart on the west side of town. All the fishes I've gotten there have been great. Tanks are well kept (to my surprise), fish look healthy and they have a 14 day guarantee on their livestock. Can't beat that.
DBlauj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.