out of tank heater
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 08-10-2003, 01:50 AM   #1
mr hyde
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've been thinking of coming up with a plan to place my heater somewhere besides in my tank. Has anyone done this? I have a thing about having so many gadgets in my tank. There is just no way to hide everything. The heater is the biggest thing in there. Looking at some of the external reactors sort of gave me some ideas. My idea is to make some sort of a plexiglass box with an inlet and outlet and run it on my filter outflow line. The heater would be placed on the bottom panel of this box. If the inflow and outflow lines were above the heater then the heater would stay submerged even if the lines sucked air so the heater would never get exposed to air and crack this way. Maybe there is an easier way but I haven't thought of it yet. Any ideas on this?
mr hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:08 AM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rainbow Lifeguard make modules for enclosing standard aquarium heaters. You could run one of these in line with a canister filter to do this for you.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:24 AM   #3
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Eheim makes a filter with a built in heater.

Mike
Old 08-10-2003, 06:28 AM   #4
mr hyde
Planted Member

The rainbow lifeguard heater module looks like it connects to a whole filter unit. Looks like it stands upright. Makes me wonder if air would collect in that chamber if the filter were to ever suck air and crack the heater.
I wish that Eheim made a smaller version of that filter with the heater built in, I like that idea. I think that when I plan my next tank I'll have to keep that one in mind.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:06 PM   #5
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

There are some external heaters available.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #6
JonMulzer
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to JonMulzer Send a message via MSN to JonMulzer Send a message via Yahoo to JonMulzer

There is a heater called a fireplug and Hydor makes an external. I don't know if the Hydor's are available in the US though.

Someone on the AB board made an external type heater. I don't remember who. You could search for it in the DIY section. Basically the outflow from his cannister flowed up into some approximately 2" PVC, then to a "Y" type fitting that was turned upside down so that the "leg" of it overflowed into his tank. A screw off cap with a slot for the cord allowed the heater to be placed in this. I believe he added a short section of PVC to the outflow of it to reduce surface turbulence. Make sense? I may go see if I can dig up the article. My explanations suck. lol

It was an ingenious solution though.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:39 PM   #7
Slaigar
Planted Member

You do what most saltwater keepers do and make sump for the filtering and heating. All that would be visible in the main tank would be pipes leading to the sump. I would like to do this myself but I lack the patients to start =).
Old 08-10-2003, 06:08 PM   #8
mr hyde
Planted Member

Those fireplug heaters look ideal, I checked them out after you mentioned them. Made for larger tanks though, the 500W is the smallest they had @ $200.
I would like to see that DIY article on the heater module if you could find it.
Thanks
Old 08-11-2003, 12:06 AM   #9
JonMulzer
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to JonMulzer Send a message via MSN to JonMulzer Send a message via Yahoo to JonMulzer

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...2&m=2186040343

There ya go, unfortunately the pictures are not showing up anymore. Unfortunately the AB board has no photo gallery for members (it is coming soon). So the pictures are not up any longer. But perhaps Mike (ekim) will put them back up for you to see? I asked but it wouldn't hurt for you to ask also.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:26 AM   #10
mr hyde
Planted Member

Thanks Jon, I saw the pictures. Thats a nifty idea, sealing around the cord was something I was wondering about. I'm sure my mind will be pondering all week at work on how to build some contraption.
There is always satisfaction for me to build something myself rather than just buy it, saving money isn't bad either!
Old 08-20-2003, 02:30 PM   #11
kherman
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to kherman

I have the firplug. I bought it off of EBay for $50. I still don't have it set up though. In another month, I can give a full report