Filter Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Grimnokk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Filter Question

I have been reading through tons of tank journals and other posts here on the board trying to get a good set of hardware put together for a tank I will be setting up in the next couple weeks. After much reading, I am starting to wonder if I will have enough flow in my tank for the plants.

I will be setting up a 75 gallon tank. I currently have a Rena XP3 filter. I was wondering if I shouldn't buy a second one and put both outlets (to canister) in the center of the tank on the back wall and then one return on each end of the tank pointed towards the center. I know that I don't need the "extra" canister for filtration as that is what the plants are for, but I want to make sure that I have enough flow. I also realize that I could accomplish this with a power head. However I don't really want this tank to have large pieces of equipment in the tank.

What is your opinion on this? Is this overkill? Would this be a good option? Thoguhts on the matter please and thank you.
Grimnokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
etgregoire
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I don't have this filter, but it looks like its rated for up to 175. I would think that would be enough flow.

As far as positioning, I think generally you want the in and out to be in different places so that its pulling flow across the entire tank. As far as positioning 2 intakes, or any powerhead I think the idea is that you want stuff moving in the same direction... or creating some kind of cyclical flow as appose to 2 things moving at each other.

I would just set it up and see how it looks. I think you want to have a gentle movement over the plants, and if it doesn't seem to be achieving that you can see what else you can add to improve.
etgregoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
infamouz23
Planted Tank Explorer

PTrader: (11/100%)

If you're not concerned with the level of filtration in your tank, I'd look into a power head.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Or a Koralia-type circulation pump.
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Cannister filters are great for filtration, but have generally not provided my tanks with adequate circulation, even when I have used ones far over-rated for their size. For a heavily planted tank, you will probably have adequate filtration, but not necessarily enough circulation.

I concur with the above koralia powerhead/circulation pump suggestion rather than adding a second cannister.
wheatiesl337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
bababooey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)

or a Vortech if you don't want a powerhead taking up alot of space.

I have a mp10 in my 40g and it was worth every penny.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote