marsilea minuta vs. quadrifolia?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default marsilea minuta vs. quadrifolia?

I have discovered that the only thing that survives in my tank is anubias. I have a bunch of anubias nana petite and while it has reverted to regular size anubias nana, it at least looks healthy and actually grows.

I also have marsilea minuta which doesn't die but does not grow. Not even slowly. It really doesn't grow. I've had it for about a year. No growth.

Do you think I'd have better luck with marislea quadrifolia? I thought it was illegal in my state but now I can't seem to find anything that says it's illegal here and I'm seeing it for sale in pet stores now. I wonder if it's changed status or something. Or I'm just going crazy. But is it any easier to grow than minuta?
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
chris.rivera3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (134/100%)

IMHO they have the same growth pattern. I have both in the same tank and they grow at about the same rate.
chris.rivera3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok Thanks chris. I guess I'll stick with minuta then since I definitely know that one is legal here. Wish it would grow but oh well.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

ponyo: Are you using higher lighting, CO2 and ferts? If not, your Marsilea minuta won't grow quickly.

It's taken me almost a year to see any major (that's not saying much - see my 12gal journal for details) new growth in a low-tech environment.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I had some marsilea in a tank for about a year and it didn’t grow at all. Four leaves on four stems just stood there. So one day I up rooted it and moved it. Since then it has started growing fairly rapidly across the substrate.
I am not really sure what happened.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah it's a low tech tank/no CO2 tank. Well I do add excel but more so that I don't get wicked bad algae which I get anyway. LOL It's kind of a mess. Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

If you're getting tons of algae, then you need to address that.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

Could you share specifics about your lighting? Type? Brand? Size?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's a 29 gal. 30" x 18" high by 12" deep IIRC. I have eco complete substrate that always looks disgusting--I can't really clean it well because of the M.M and drift wood. 30" T5 NO coralife light 2x 18watt bulbs. 6700K and colormax. They're on the old side now and I just bought two 6700K ones to replace them (I couldn't find the colormax). I've always had an algae problem so I don't think it's just that the bulbs are old.

My pH is 7.6 and the water is hard but not from calcium I don't think. The water is from a well. I live on an old farm with lots of farm loam.

I have a whole bunch of anubias nana petites that grow fine but reverted to being normal sized. Not sure if it's my tank or where I got them from--they're from tissue culture. I got a ton of them for like $10 so I'm not complaining and they seem to be healthy. I have one regular anubias nana that also does well. Then I have some bacopa carolina I think it's called. It does ok and seems to grow. And then the M.M. I've also tried lilaeopsis mauritiana, dwarf sag, val. nana and they all died. Plus I got a nice plant package of taller type plants (I don't remember the names but there were a whole bunch and some red ones). They all died.

I most get a very hard algae the clings to the glass. It's hard to tell the color really but if I had to guess I would say it's brown although it used to be green. Does that make any sense? Like when I first started my tank it was super stuck onto the glass and it was green. Not it's a little easier to scrape off and it's more brown then green I think.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's a picture(sorry my camera is not good at taking close up pictures) of my tank when I first planted the plant package I bought from the swap and shop. Pretty much everything but the things I listed above died. I got rid of the moss because it got so dirty and then it kept falling off--it wouldn't attach very well and it was all over my tank. I think from this picture I actually have less M.M. now. So maybe the MM is actually not doing as well as I thought.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Your Anubias won't really need much in the realm of ferts beyond a few root tabs placed in the substrate beneath them.

Are you using root tabs or dosing anything for your other plants?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not dosing anything yet. I'm hoping the ferts might clear up the algae and help with the M.M. They were recommended to me by a member here and I read the whole long thread by Tom Barr and he recommends them. Only one of my anubias are actually planted in the eco complete. All the rest are on the drift wood.

I'm also hoping some day I might be able to plant things besides the anubias LOL And I would really like more of cover with the MM. but I'm wondering if I should increase my light or not. I mean I won't do it now because I just bought the replacement bulbs but next time year when they need to be replaced. Everyone on the low tech discouraged me from doing so but I already have algae so it's not like it can really get worse... and then maybe I could grow stuff. I don't mean increasing the lights by a lot, just a tiny bit. I think it works out to about 1.2 watts/gal right now.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

pretty tank the house is a nice touch!
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #13
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

I blew up your picture and I'm pretty sure you have MQ already instead of MM. I grow both and I find it does terrible in Eco compared to aqua soil or the lighter substrates. You can lighten you Eco by stirring some aqua soil or dirt into it.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #14
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

chad,
Isn't MM supposed to be smaller than MQ? The stuff in my tank is pretty small. I've only seen MQ in the emersed form in the stores so it's hard to compare it... I got the MM from the swap and shop here.

That's intersting about the substrate. I will check into that. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Just for reference, this is what MM looks like in my tank. I'm getting good growth in medium light, CO2, Ferts, and aqua soil. I thought it was growing slower until I moved/propagated some of it and compared to pics from 6 weeks ago when I planted it.

AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote