2 Bulb fixture that won't break the Bank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru
 
ADJAquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,421
Default 2 Bulb fixture that won't break the Bank?

Im looking for a good 2 bulb fixture that comes in 30 in. I've looked at Petsmart because it's local but every review i read says that on most fixtures you can only get around 3,500 hours on most of them, that just can't cut it for me, i dont want to be forking out $100 every year!

I have a 1 bulb fixture and am looking for an upgrade.
__________________

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)

Last edited by ADJAquariums; 01-02-2013 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: Ending Confusion
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru
 
jbrady33's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mt Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,574
Default

You can get a 30" FugeRay LED for under $100, no more bulbs!
__________________
jbrady33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Steve001
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
Im looking for a good 2 bulb fixture that comes in 30 in. I've looked at Petsmart because it's local but every review i read says that on most fixtures you can only get around 3,500 hours on most of them, that just can't cut it for me, i dont want to be forking out $100 every year!
Your question doesn't make sense. Fixtures don't require replacement. A fixture is what the bulb fits into. What bulbs are you looking at ?
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Lansing, MI, USA
Posts: 2,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Your question doesn't make sense. Fixtures don't require replacement. A fixture is what the bulb fits into. What bulbs are you looking at ?
If have experience used high end fixtures and new cheap fixtures the statement makes sense. The manufactured to minimum spec, minimum cost ballasts in cheap fixtures die far earlier than the off the shelf commercial ballast in a quality (more expensive) fixture.
Electrical connections are also cheaper. Quality - copper alloy contacts last many years. Copper over steel will rust away starting from the holes or pores in the plating.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru
 
ADJAquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Your question doesn't make sense. Fixtures don't require replacement. A fixture is what the bulb fits into. What bulbs are you looking at ?
And i do believe my question does make sense, i dont want a single bulb fixture anymore, i want an upgrade that is good quality under 100 dollars.

I proably should have made it more specific and went out and said i currently have a 1 bulb and am looking for an upgrade
__________________

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:20 AM   #6
Steve001
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
And i do believe my question does make sense, i dont want a single bulb fixture anymore, i want an upgrade that is good quality under 100 dollars.

I proably should have made it more specific and went out and said i currently have a 1 bulb and am looking for an upgrade
Some suggestions

Here's one where you can custom design.
http://buildmyled.com/
With this customization you can achieve good PAR coupled with very high color rendering index ( CRI ) See this entire thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...196&highlight=



Do to my liking an open top uncluttered tank my personal preference is one 10 inch Flukers Sun Dome housing this bulb http://www.eiko-ltd.com/Products.asp...ndex=SP50/955K on my 45 gallon column tank. The bulb costs $15 not including shipping. http://www.lightbulbemporium.com/eik..._sp50_955k.asp
The bulb produces a white light. You would need two Flukers Sun Domes. There are two versions, Clamp or no clamp. I choose the version without a clamp. It is supported by a chain. Prices vary but many suppliers retail them for less than $25, some less than $20.

Last edited by Steve001; 01-03-2013 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: x
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru
 
jbrady33's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mt Laurel, NJ
Posts: 1,574
Default

Finnex led lights - I swear buy them. Already made, no wiring or soldering. Tiny profile, big light.

Are you injecting Co2? if not get a FugeRay, 30" is under $80. PAR values are better than standard 2 tube fixture. Proof is in the plants right? Check out the 36 gallon in my signature, that is a 30" Fugeray, no co2 (just excel). The 3 gallon has a 12" fugeray

Going with Co2? The 30" Finned Ray2 high-power comes out this month.
__________________
jbrady33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #8
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru
 
ADJAquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post
Finnex led lights - I swear buy them. Already made, no wiring or soldering. Tiny profile, big light.

Are you injecting Co2? if not get a FugeRay, 30" is under $80. PAR values are better than standard 2 tube fixture. Proof is in the plants right? Check out the 36 gallon in my signature, that is a 30" Fugeray, no co2 (just excel). The 3 gallon has a 12" fugeray

Going with Co2? The 30" Finned Ray2 high-power comes out this month.
I'm not currently injecting co2 so I think I might go with the Fugeray, and your right, proof is in the plants



On a side note I'll get depth tomorrow If that's important, I've got a really weird 40 in the fact that it is tall, it's 30 in long and is wide
__________________

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru
 
ADJAquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,421
Default

Let me specify even further...

For my birthday last year i got a 40 gallon with a cheapo flourescent bulb lighting fixture, whenever i try to change the bulb to something higher, like daylight bulbs, the fixture that i have doesn't run them at a constant, instead it rappidly flashes, so i thought... Why not get a better light fixture for my tank? So now im looking at all these lights that hold 2 bulbs (I want to do a full spectrum and one specifically to optimize plant growth) and they are upwards of 150, even all the way to 250 dollars! now i realize that i need help, so i came here. I have always had the cheap lighting fixtures that you get with a tank, so im REALLY new to the lighting world, if my question didn't make sense i appologize, i just want a good light that can hold preferably 2 bulbs and is 30 inches long, and is also below 100$.

I would try and get a new one of the same model as the one i have that can run just a daylight but i feel like in the long run i will get a new fixture, so why not save myself some time and get a new fixture right now.

Now we're here...

Also i have no clue as to wether or not LED's are a good option or not.
__________________

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
lowzone
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rochelle Park NJ 07662
Posts: 8
Default

i just upgraded 396w of Power compact Coralife set up to a 312w LED set up. its an Evo 3w CREE LEDs. 52 bulbs on each 72" light (actually 70x5x1/2") and 2 strips. you can get smaller ones. the output is twice my PC and less electricity and LESS HEAT, and my tank was a 125 (21') with the PCs, its now a 220 (31" tall) and plant growth is decent at the bottom of the 220. its not amazing, but they are doing better then with my PCs. I have Parrots Feather and Pennywort pond plants inside, and they are doing as well as being out in the sun in the summer. Growing just as fast and thick. the lights were $297 for 2 72" shipped to my door. you can get shorter wider ones with choice of many bulbs for about 140.00, cheaper for less lighting/bulbs/narrower. the lumens are great and lights up the tank well. i plan on doing the same lights on my 10 gallon with a 20" light. check it out, on [Ebay Link Removed] search EVO LED 3W and look for your size tank length. i just ordered a 24oz CO2 bottle to start my CO2 injection, so i'll see how much better the plants do with them. if you just want BRIGHT for the tank, check them out.
lowzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru
 
ADJAquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowzone View Post
i just upgraded 396w of Power compact Coralife set up to a 312w LED set up. its an Evo 3w CREE LEDs. 52 bulbs on each 72" light (actually 70x5x1/2") and 2 strips. you can get smaller ones. the output is twice my PC and less electricity and LESS HEAT, and my tank was a 125 (21') with the PCs, its now a 220 (31" tall) and plant growth is decent at the bottom of the 220. its not amazing, but they are doing better then with my PCs. I have Parrots Feather and Pennywort pond plants inside, and they are doing as well as being out in the sun in the summer. Growing just as fast and thick. the lights were $297 for 2 72" shipped to my door. you can get shorter wider ones with choice of many bulbs for about 140.00, cheaper for less lighting/bulbs/narrower. the lumens are great and lights up the tank well. i plan on doing the same lights on my 10 gallon with a 20" light. check it out, on [Ebay Link Removed] search EVO LED 3W and look for your size tank length. i just ordered a 24oz CO2 bottle to start my CO2 injection, so i'll see how much better the plants do with them. if you just want BRIGHT for the tank, check them out.
Ill take a look, thanks

Anymore suggestions? Preferably cheaper ones? around 100 or lower, preferably lower
__________________

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #12
lowzone
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rochelle Park NJ 07662
Posts: 8
Default

depending on size of the housing, number of CREE LEDS (CREE are the best out there IMO, for the price), and Kelvin rating. seems the 6500k are more $ then the 10k (or equivalent) but not much. the power consumption is MUCH lower then a Power Compact or Metal Halide, less heat and lower electric bills!! i love my EVO72s...never have to replace bulbs, less power, more light...WIN WIN WIN!!!

what size 40 do you have?? ive seen people call 29s a 30g and the dimensions of a 30 are waaaaaaaaaaay different then a 29....so depth matters too....

it was the best bang for the buck vs buying a Marineland for 350-up....for my 72"
lowzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru
 
ADJAquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,421
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl8MfWfqnCE\

Now that i see this, i want to do this instead, anyone do this? it's cheap and i can get daylight bulbs too, basically everythig i wanted
__________________

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
vvDO's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Richmond, CA
Posts: 388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJAquariums View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl8MfWfqnCE\

Now that i see this, i want to do this instead, anyone do this? it's cheap and i can get daylight bulbs too, basically everythig i wanted
Check this link, many use this. There's even a thread documenting different par readings using spiral cfls at varying distances.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=153195
__________________
Mr. Aqua 30cm cube journal
20L high tech journal
Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru
 
ADJAquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
Check this link, many use this. There's even a thread documenting different par readings using spiral cfls at varying distances.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=153195
Ahh thanks! Thats definatley what im going to do! cheap and effective
__________________

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012