DISCUS..pls help.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
NoObLet
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NoObLet
Default DISCUS..pls help.

okay so about three days ago my fish have started to just be really lazy. they dont eat as much. and the top of my water is getting all oily and my discus have been seeming to start shedding their skin.umm not really to sure what to do right now but try and not kill my fish i was thinking to pull them all out into a small tank...umm anyone have any ideas.. or might be able to contruibute to save my fish. and one of them are getting a little dark...this all started happening after i brought a new discus into the tank. and the new discus is doing just fine and the other 3 i have in my tank not so well.

PayPal Verified
NoObLet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
tex627
Sponsor

PTrader: (21/92%)

Can you give us some water quality information? Make sure your temperature is high enough for Discus and a water change couldn't hurt.

^^ Click above to visit Aqua Design Innovations, Follow our Twitter, and Like our FB Page ^^

tex627 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
senior el roboto
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Was the new fish quranteened? Was the new fish from the same stock as your last?
senior el roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
NoObLet
Planted Member

yeah i did quaranteen the fish...also the water is at 82 well let me wip this test kit out and get some water info. and yes i did do a water change and the fish started to get a little bit more activity. and then they got all lazy again.

PayPal Verified
Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I see tattered fins in the first pic and a stunted discus in the front of the second pic (they all look to have large eyes). It looks like they have had long term water quality issues and the new guy came in with a bug that pushed the others over the edge. I would start doing daily large water changes (if your tap water is suitable without aging) and see if they turn around in a couple of weeks.
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, up the size and frequency of your wcs, and when you do them, also do a good tank cleansing job - good substrate vac, complete glass walls wipedown, and removal of the oily slick on the water surface. You could up the temp a little to stimulate their appetite, and add a little salt for those frayed fins.
Is your filtration in good condition & operating well ? What media are you using ?
Let us know your params when you have done your testing.
discuspaul is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 AM   #7
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (260/100%)

Water change 2x a week, say 50%, dose ferts after.

Temp, might bump to 84F.

CO2?

They seem gasping at the surface, never good, check rates of respiration/breathing etc. Oily slick at the surface also suggest something may be amiss(like too much cO2/not enough current/O2).

NEVER reduce the surface to nothing. That's no place for any fish, with or without plants.

A good ripple, but not enough to break the water's surface is a good rule of thumb.

This will allow more CO2 wiggle room since you will have more O2. Respiration is both CO2 and O2, so the more O2, the better. CO2 should be easier to add.
I use wet/drys for all my tanks for this reasons(more O2 than canister filtration).
Old 01-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #8
manzpants92
Planted Member

Water params are really needed for some help.

-Whats the PH of the tank water and also what is the PH of the water you are adding before it goes into the tank?
-Are you using tap water/do you dechlorinate your water?
manzpants92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

air stone that baby
his co2 look blue to me.

its the protein in the tank. I like using protein skimmer with my freshwater tank.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

It's a lipidaceous substance that builds up on the surface not necessarily a protein although a skimmer, which really doesn't work too well in fresh water due to specific gravity, would remove this potentially. It's normal to get a film on the surface when you have no agitation up there. The blue drop checker tells us the CO2 dosing may be inconsistent, and resulting in wild pH swings in what potentially is very soft water (as others said give us some more params). I agree the fish do look a bit stunted-but not much you can do about that at this point. +1 to the salt bath, maybe move them to quarantine to get them healthy and get the tank figured out. Could be high ammonia + pH mayhem.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
NoObLet
Planted Member

Okay so it seems as my fish has Discus Plague. after watch my fish and reading articles. symptoms have been identified. So they say taking them out of the infected tank and dipping them into a clen tank mixed with a solution of potassium permanganate and gentamicin powder, or use Malachite green instead of the gentamicin powder. then to dip them in there depending on size to how long to dip them for. then continue and put them into a clean tank with high temp and a air stone, and lowering ph. I also about 2 weeks prior cleaned my filter out but i did not take all of my filter media out. and my subtrate was disturbed quite a bit while cleaning.
3 of 4 are sick the 4th fish is a new addition to the tank which is doing fine and eating. I have been able to get the other 3 to eat here and there. but its getting to a point were i need to do something because i cant see my fish like that. my co2 tank is empty so a trip to air gas is in the morning.

on that note i was wondering what u guys think of the method or have alternative methods. and this poses my question how to clean a infected tank?

PayPal Verified
Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #12
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

I for one do not think you have discus plague.
Don't complicate or worsen matters by undertaking the medicating that you now say you want to do - that's bad news at this stage, imo.

Your discus simply appear to be in very poor condition, - unhealthy to some extent, probably due to being grown out/raised under less than adequate tank conditions and in poor water quality.

Their fins are ragged and need healing, and should be treated with salt.
No medications of any kind yet - that could only worsen matters.

You need to remedy the main problem as I see it, and that is easily done with some effort on your part - from what I can see, the sides and back of your tank are dirty, and from the overall look of things in the tank (which includes decomposing plant matter), I do not think they have been receiving sufficient tank cleansing care & appropriate, sufficiently large and frequent water changes.

As I mentioned before, if you want to bring those fish back to good health and save them, I strongly urge you to do the following:

Do a large 50% to 60% wc, and at the same time, give the tank a complete wipe-down of all glass walls (don't use that magnetic algae srcubber, use a good sponge or paper towelling). Also do a very significant vacuuming of your substrate, to clean it up as best you can. Refill with conditioned water & give those fish a half portion recommended salt bath dosage.
Repeat this routine every second or third day for the next 2 weeks or so to really clean up that tank. Then maintain a minimum twice weekly regime of tank clean-up & wcs to maintain good water quality & conditions.
For the time being, forget about your CO2 dosing - stop it until you get those discus back to good health. They don't need any pH swings, or other complications, just good, clean, fresh water & a clean tank.

Over the next few days, clean up your filtration unit(s), rinse the media well in siphoned out tank water (with a wc), replacing any media that seems beyond salvation.

You would be very surprised how much better those discus can look (and regain some appetite) with lots of fresh clean water, and sufficient care and attention to tank cleanliness.
Give it a shot - it will work !
discuspaul is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #13
manzpants92
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
I for one do not think you have discus plague.
Don't complicate or worsen matters by undertaking the medicating that you now say you want to do - that's bad news at this stage, imo.

Your discus simply appear to be in very poor condition, - unhealthy to some extent, probably due to being grown out/raised under less than adequate tank conditions and in poor water quality.

Their fins are ragged and need healing, and should be treated with salt.
No medications of any kind yet - that could only worsen matters.

You need to remedy the main problem as I see it, and that is easily done with some effort on your part - from what I can see, the sides and back of your tank are dirty, and from the overall look of things in the tank (which includes decomposing plant matter), I do not think they have been receiving sufficient tank cleansing care & appropriate, sufficiently large and frequent water changes.

As I mentioned before, if you want to bring those fish back to good health and save them, I strongly urge you to do the following:

Do a large 50% to 60% wc, and at the same time, give the tank a complete wipe-down of all glass walls (don't use that magnetic algae srcubber, use a good sponge or paper towelling). Also do a very significant vacuuming of your substrate, to clean it up as best you can. Refill with conditioned water & give those fish a half portion recommended salt bath dosage.
Repeat this routine every second or third day for the next 2 weeks or so to really clean up that tank. Then maintain a minimum twice weekly regime of tank clean-up & wcs to maintain good water quality & conditions.
For the time being, forget about your CO2 dosing - stop it until you get those discus back to good health. They don't need any pH swings, or other complications, just good, clean, fresh water & a clean tank.

Over the next few days, clean up your filtration unit(s), rinse the media well in siphoned out tank water (with a wc), replacing any media that seems beyond salvation.

You would be very surprised how much better those discus can look (and regain some appetite) with lots of fresh clean water, and sufficient care and attention to tank cleanliness.
Give it a shot - it will work !
Good point I also agree that you don't have discus plague. You need to test your water and give some water parameters, by doing this you could have a simple problem and could be easily fixed without any meds at all
manzpants92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #14
NoObLet
Planted Member

okay ill have parameters for you guys in the morning. and i also started a massive tank clean. and glass cleaning and i changed about 60% of the water and the fish seem to be a little more responsive. i have to go grab another test kit in the am. and raising the water temp made them swim around a little more. but my fish do have a film of like mucus on them and its cover their eyes a little. one of my fish is a little discolored but not to black....he still swims and eats. but one of the other two is a little lazy and the other one just seems to be shaking his fins a lot periodically. setting a higher temp also seems to help a bit.ill get the water paramaters before i add any meds to the tank.
thanks for all the help, so far.

PayPal Verified
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
NoObLet
Planted Member

nitrate no2-

nitrate no3-

ammonia nh3/nh4+

ph

what do i need to do ?

PayPal Verified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.