Substrate for SA dwarf cichlids?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Monk3y God
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Substrate for SA dwarf cichlids?

I am looking for a new home for my little cichlids. They currently reside in my community tank with EC, but I want something a little more natural for them.

I have a 20L tank waiting for them but I want to add some kind of sand substrate so they can sift through. Would pool filter sand be too large for them? Should I use sand as a cap for soil or just use root tabs? WOuld you get black sand or natural? Any advice would be helpful.

BTW I have a pair of breeding GBR, 4 Checkerboards and want to get a pair of apistos for this tank.
Monk3y God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

I got the Cichlid sand from Caribsea (sp?) it's a little more expensive, but I like the consistency better and it didn't cloud up much at all. I'm only using Java Moss and Java Fern and hopefully some Fissidins. I used straight sand and I'm just dosing the water. I'm planning on GBR's, Cardinals, and Cory's
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk3y God View Post
I am looking for a new home for my little cichlids. They currently reside in my community tank with EC, but I want something a little more natural for them.

I have a 20L tank waiting for them but I want to add some kind of sand substrate so they can sift through. Would pool filter sand be too large for them? Should I use sand as a cap for soil or just use root tabs? WOuld you get black sand or natural? Any advice would be helpful.

BTW I have a pair of breeding GBR, 4 Checkerboards and want to get a pair of apistos for this tank.
Hi Monk3y God,

My Apistogramma cacatuoides Triple Red breed well in their 10 gallon with Safe-T-Sorb substrate.

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Monk3y God
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

@ The Dude - I will have to check out the Cichlid sand for consistency, but I already bought 2 bags of Eco and in hindsight I believe that $40 is too much to pay for any substrate. the checkerboard cichlids are quite tiny so I want something between 20 to 40 grain size.

@Seattle - Gimme your little fishies NOW! That Tripple is exactly what I have been shopping for in Colorado and there is a serious lack of apisto variety here. That Safe T-Sorb looks really amazing. I was afraid of the fruity pebble look that I saw in another tank, but that looks pretty natural in your 10. I may consider that for my other tanks.
Monk3y God is offline   Reply With Quote